The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 554 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/16/16
I am not a poetry person, but I LOVE this. Profoundness in few words. Excellent, excellent. God bless.
A real gift of poetry--this!
06/18/16
Very clever and creative in its simplicity, although - in keeping with the topic - it got verse as it went on.
06/19/16
I enjoyed this poem. I liked 'the Valley of Fail' and 'the fortress farce of Kingdom Fizzle' - nice imagery and some alliteration.
You used the repetition expertly as the words just flowed off the page. You spoke volumes and touched by heart with your passion.
I plan to read this a few more times so all of the imagery and allegory can sink in.

One line puzzles me: "One day they marched and then they crippled." Did they cripple others in their march? or did you mean one day they marched, and the next were crippled?

I love this on so many levels - the poetic structure, the blunt but concealed language, the raw and transparent emotion.... in a nutshell, kudos!
06/21/16
@Cat
There was a day and a time this unnamed organization/unit marched as a force, then were crippled by the fizzle of goal's without heart, or lost or abandoned commitment; a half-hearted try.

I didn't want to spend many lines on that; more worried about the pace of the piece, but maybe I should have. Thank you for your input and time to comment. Nice to hear from you.
06/21/16
I did repeat "they" twice in that line on-purpose, but I can see now where confusion could be created. They crippled themselves. If said they were crippled, the question would have been how that happened. Yes with more time that line needed more work. I appreciate the insight and feedback.
06/23/16
Nicely done Bill.

Congrats.

God bless~
06/23/16
I have to agree with Leola - Profoundness in few words!
Congratulations
06/23/16
Congratulations, Bill, on your 4th place finish this week.

Your poem was packed with imagery, and I marked it as a favorite.
06/23/16
Congratulations on your EC placing. Well done Bill.
I've very glad to see this on the EC list. Thanks for your replies Bill. I've crippled myself many times. Congratulation, Sir!
Reading it again, I see that if were more adept at reading poetry, this line should have explained it: "A dried up pond without a ripple". Wonderful imagery.
06/24/16
Congratulations, Bill, on your EC!
06/25/16
Congratulations on 4th Place!
06/27/16
My favorite line was "They quit in a fit of a half-hearted try."

How often has been me? Yikes.