The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2600 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/19/09
Terrific story. This should brings chills to the spine!
03/20/09
Initially wondered about the title. Enjoyed the story. Loved the ending! Your story kept unfolding and building on itself so that by the conclusion the proverbial light bulb illuminated the "Almost Missed It" title. I agree with the first commenter -- shiver!
03/20/09
What a great "gotcha" moment...I was convinced that thorny ol' Rose was 'left behind'. Loved the details like the spider bite and lousy coffee; they put me into Roses' mindset...cranky. The last line was beyond perfect. Loved it!
Marvelous story--title, beginning to end. I'm so glad your MC didn't "miss it."
03/21/09
Great detail - you absolutely had me convinced she'd missed it. Great characterization too - nailed her for sure.
03/23/09
Loved the humor in this and the awesome message.
03/23/09
Intriguing, we have American retail stores, a french expression and a worship song written by a guy from Belfast - what does this hint about the nationality of the writer?!!
I so enjoyed this story, the way that you wove the sense of tease all the way through. I'm glad you didn't leave it hanging at the end.
03/24/09
Great story! I enjoyed the part about the itch...gave humor to a serious subject! I was very glad that she made it, too...:)
03/24/09
I don't know how you do it Jan, this was a great read -- aaannnd should be in a youth's magazine. Kudos to ya girl! A great one here!
03/24/09
This was an incredible story written so well. I loved the humor, the descriptions, the message - all of it brilliant. Thank you for showing how it should be done. (Glad I didn't miss it!)
03/24/09
I love how her 'wonderful' day actually became the most 'wonderful' day for her. The waiting...waiting...waiting got to me. Seems like we have been waiting for His appearance. Even so, Come Lord Jesus!
Mona
03/24/09
Excellent story. You really created tension. Bill sitting in his chair towards the end there was like a pin to a balloon! Excellent!
03/24/09
Your writing is so entertaining to read. All the little details--like the irritating spider bite on her behind. Details like that make the story come to life.

Love the ending...I wait for that moment every day. Excellent take on the topic.
Our pastor mentioned Sunday morning that he believed Gabriel's lips are at the trumpet, just waiting...Wonderful story and a reminder to everyone, get ready!
03/24/09
Superbly written, with a very moving conclusion!
03/24/09
Jammed full to the hilt with symbolizm... I could easily read more into this than you intended. Or DID you intend it?

Super entry.
03/24/09
Well, your title had me guessing the whole time - waiting, waiting for her to change her mind. Such suspense! Rose was endearing, real and I was cheering for her at the end! The spider bite was just fantastic... how do you think of these things?
03/24/09
Great depiction of the Rapture!
I loved the symbolic touch of the spider bite.
03/24/09
Brilliant. Love the twist at the end.
03/24/09
One question: If Bill was still home, what happened to the others, if the ending was really the rapture?
Wonderful story. I love your characters and how all the coinsidences of Rose's day brought her around - right on time.
03/25/09
Oh, I hope many get Rose's second chance! (Well, many already HAVE, I suppose!) Great story and I love all the details that make this such a extraordinarily ordinary day...just the way it may be?
Awesome account of the rapture. Loved your mc.
It's writing like this that seperates the masters from the rest of us. Awesome.
03/25/09
Superb writing. I was convinced all the way through that you had one word too many in the title, but if the clues had not been so powerful Rose WOULD indeed have missed it. Excellent.
03/26/09
Congratulations, Jan. Awesome story!!!
03/26/09
Congratulations, Jan! Well-done!
03/26/09
Your writing always inspires me, encourages me and blesses me. Thank you for all the ways you contribute to this website.
03/26/09
Wonderful story! Inspiring and soul searching. Congratulations!
03/26/09
Jan, ever time I read your writing I learn a little something more about the craft of writing.

And there something else ... I love a soul who can capture the person of someone like Rose with a line like ... then she scratched her rear ...

My, the Lord has given you the calling of being a very human but yet divinely graced wordsmith.
03/26/09
Congratulations, Jan! A great blend of humor and reverence for our blessed hope. Hard to achieve, but you did it beautifully.
03/27/09
Congrats, Jan. Even with my red ink pen out and ready tonight, I just can't put it to use here. I'm no fan of rapture stories and yet had to apprectiate this one for the characters and craft.
03/27/09
This piece sent chills through me. I am so grateful that we have a hope. I'm also saddened that there are so many people that have not accepted this hope. Thank you for your perspective.
I have always wondered what it would be like to be alive on this earth when the rapture takes place. I like how your story ended with her imagining that the rapture had taken place and then later on she actually experienced it with her husband for real.