The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1488 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
We should be free to be this honest...
11/16/08
VERY though-provoking, and I was also surprised by the end. Moving.
This is art imitating life more often than most parishioners would like to know. Very honest, candid, and moving.
11/17/08
I suspected. This entry would provide an interesting introduction to a discussion on honest communication: why and how it should be done, and when it is, or isn't, appropriate. I also felt an underlying tension between the couple—sounds like they could use some open and honest communication between themselves. Lots of food for thought here. Great story.
I bet that letter sent the preacher back to the emergency room! I agree that the discord between the couple is the most concerning issue. But that's certainly realistic, considering all the problems. Clever approach to the topic.
To be honest, I would not send out a Christmas letter like this. And if I got one, I certainly would pray, but I would wonder why the wife felt the need to air the family pain. I agree with the husband. She could send out a card and ask people to pray for their family. With this letter, she's only going to bring pain to those mentioned in the letter. That pain is best left between the individuals and God.
This is very well written, with an easy flow. You had my attention from word one.
Finally I found yours!
I loved it. It was a creative way to approach to the topic and well written. I liked that it really told about how lots of people feel when they have to send out cards and they're not really feeling so joyous.
Finally I found yours!
I loved it. It was a creative way to approach to the topic and well written. I liked that it really told about how lots of people feel when they have to send out cards and they're not really feeling so joyous.
oops, sorry. I seem to be having a problem with my computer tonight.
11/19/08
I LOVED this one. I really wish more Christmas letters had some balance in them and truth. I got it from the start and appreciate your take on this. Great idea and writing with a surprise at the end! Bueno..
11/21/08
Ouch, this one has a real bite! My heart went out to your narrator and her very real family, and I definitely wanted the conversation between her and her husband to go on. Excellent change of pace story with a cynicism that appeals to the cynic in me.