The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1839 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/20/06
WOW...This was so powerful and great writing! I cried at the end but your attention to detail all the way through was terrific! What a twist to a story. I sure hope you win with this!:)
07/21/06
This is very well written. From the very first sentence - I couldn't stop reading.
This story pulled me in and I pictured it all as I read. It had a very believable fell to it and I kept trying to guess why the man had earned respect. (I was way off by the way.)
07/21/06
Wowsers, this is powerful stuff! Your first paragraph is one of the best examples of a "hook" that I've ever read, and the rest of the story did not disappoint.
07/22/06
Wow, this is powerful. Excellently written, but the content is what makes this absolutely top notch. I love the way it ended and it shows the power that ideas in people's minds can have, like where the killer said he was going to shoot the son, but his father said he wasn't sure he was saved and he knew that was important for a dying person. To me this story shows the power our words can have over people, whether we think they're listening and understanding or not! Excellent job. I predict a winner here!
07/22/06
Powerful story. What struck me was that all those pastors who had visited this man, left disappointed thinking that what they said and prayed had had zero effect — how wrong they were! A point for perseverance even when there isn't a response. And I especially loved this line: “I got it memorized, I heard it enough. Don’t worry, I ain’t praying for me.“ As it turned out he was praying for himself. Great job.
07/22/06
What struck me is that it's at the bottom of the list and has as many comments and hits as the entry's at the top. Thus meaning it doesn't really matter where your entry sits. If it's good, it's good. And this is reeeeally good! I don't know why, but I thought of Grisham when I read this. I guess cuz he's always writing about guys in prison.
Great Job! It's been said before, but you kept this reader's attention all the way through. It really stirs the emotions! Hope you do well.
07/25/06
134 hits on this entry when I read it; Wow! Awesome...a worn out word - but what else can one say? I couldn't believe the first sentence...about having respect for the killer - but I was hooked and had to continue. I read & I wept, and I wondered if this was indeed a true story? And to think this writer was a beginner not more than a month ago! Kudos, my friend, Kudos! A masterpiece of artistic brilliance!
07/25/06
Master story telling at its finest.
07/25/06
Wow! Wow! Wow! You had me mesmerized through the whole thing and what opening and closing sentences. You are most definitely a master story teller. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. Well your words are worth a thousand pictures. Do the math. Blessings Brenda
07/25/06
Oh my, what powerful writing! It pulls sobs right out of the heart. This has to be one for the book and, in my opinion, you have to be heading for Best of the Best. You certainly know how to make words count for something.
07/26/06
This is a very powerful story. While it seems unbelievable, your writing made it believable. I loved it. Awesome job!
I truly didn't understand why in the beginning you would respect a man such as him but by the end I understood. This piece truly deserves to win.
07/26/06
Those first two sentences grabbed me COMPLETELY, and I couldn't let go until the very last word. Masterful description and language, and what a story! Excellent twist at the end. I gasped along with the characters!!
07/27/06
Wow! What a fabulous story! I was hanging on every word! Great job!
A very, very good story. Great job.
WOW! This gave me chills. It's some really powerful writing. Good job.
07/27/06
Congratulations William! I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! Had to be there! Great stuff!
07/27/06
Yeah Bill! Congrats on your win!
07/27/06
This totally gave me chills. Congrats. Excellent work!
07/27/06
This story is so amazing and gut wrenching too! Bravo on your EC, you certainly deserve it. Bless you!
07/27/06
Congratulations, Friend! I knew this entry would put your name up in lights.
Congrats William!
Powerful. That's all I can say. This makes me want to pray for my children even more.
03/29/07
WOW! You didn't just catch my attention, you GRABBED and held it to the very last period. I know I'm being redundant, but Wow. The turmoil and forgiveness wrapped up here still have my mind swirling! :-)
03/30/07
This has to be one of the most compelling stories to meet my eyes. In such a short span of words you gave depth to the victim, the eldest son, and the killer. They had dimension. Maybe not all of them had heart or soul, but you gave them dimension. I am spellbound by this work. William, thanks for your kind words regarding my music entry. I admire your work, and your encouragement was like gas to a car. I can go some extra miles now. Thanks!
03/30/07
Good piece William! I know a homeless man who reminds me of your character and I can almost see the light come on behind those dead eyes.
10/30/08
OK, I know this is most likely too late to hit your radar, but this piece was amazing. I was riveted, absolutely riveted. Suspense, right from the first sentence. Fantastic dialogue and perfect ending. Thank you for putting it into Jan's resolution class, otherwise I may never have found it. Inspiring.