The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1186 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/22/11
I enjoyed reading this very personal account. Mom's humour regarding Reuben, brought a fun, light touch into the story.
07/26/11
Someone who is not afraid to live is not afraid to die. I love how you have taken us through what is often such a traumatic, guilt-filled procedure in such a sensitive and confident manner.
07/26/11
I enjoyed this read of how lovingly and thoughtfully final arrangements were made and the humor of mom in the midst of it brought a chuckle! Touching story of how God gave the wisdom, knowledge and understanding to have all ready and family at peace when the end came. Great testimony!
07/28/11
Thank you for sharing this, so many never speak of death and the preparations that must be made and you made it special and even a tiny bit entertaining. Very respectful, great job!
07/29/11
What a peaceful and idyllic tribute to an event which, for many of us, is so traumatic. Having just gone through this in the past 6 years for both sets of parents, i know firsthand how difficult this situation can be. The difference was told simply in your story when you mentioned he had left hints to his wishes. None of our parents left us any clues at all, so we all bickered and fought over what should be done. A valuable lesson. You were able to focus on meeting the final wishes of a parent. Thanks for sharing this, it was a great story of how something like this should come to pass.
07/27/20
Just to clarify, I should add that when Mom referred to Uncle Reuben, I think she was saying she liked him better than Grandpa Thore, not necessarily better than our dad. :)