The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1113 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This was adorable with a great ambiance of atmosphere and a "love that ending" too. Especially lol at them just staring at each other "speechless". That was great!
05/23/10
These "Latte Lessons" were fun and entertaining! ;) When they were talking about Mariane's favorite author, I guessed who it was. ;) I'll bet they brought a book for her to sign on their next Coffee Shop date!
I liked this! Sort of puts us on the other side- since I wonder what people are thinking about me as I sit there clicking away in a cafe (had to stop after I nearly bawled over something a character had done). I thought this flowed well, good dialogue, I liked it top to bottom, on topic-- the only quibble I have is that if it's truly her favorite author- wouldn't she have flipped the first or second book over to see a picture? it's the only hiccup I have with this. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Nice job future roomie :)
05/25/10
Ah... love the atmosphere and suspense, then learning the identity of the lady in the corner. Makes sense! This was very enjoyable!
Very enjoyable read. I could relate to this because sometimes I actually do write in a cafe in a book store :-) It's a great place to get descriptions of people. A very different slant on The Writer's Life , well done.
I love this story, and I must confess, I don't eavesdrop, but I do "overhear."
05/26/10
I anticipated the ending... because I'm guilty of listening, too, not eavesdropping, but hoarding away material for future stories. (Red ink: some capitalization and comma errors.)
05/26/10
Good take on the topic. I could picture the scene well, the cafe inside a bookstore. My only red ink would be the title. If you are going to call it Latte Lessons, the two women need to ditch the tea and be drinking a latte since they were the ones learning the lesson. Plus I thought (as a former barista) the story was going to be about the making of a latte tied in...somehow. lol.
This was very enjoyable. The atmosphere of the cafe and women talking. I really loved the ending. Although I did wonder too why Latte Lessons, when the main characers were drinking tea.
This was very enjoyable. The atmosphere of the cafe and women talking. I really loved the ending. Although I did wonder too why Latte Lessons, when the main characers were drinking tea.
05/27/10
This is where I got the name:

She was sitting in the corner, with her back to the wall, drinking a latte and working on her laptop.
05/27/10
I really enjoyed this. Loved the ending.
05/27/10
A very interesting read! Never thought of 'spying' to understand people so as to write about them. If Mariane and Betty were nearer to the writer, their conversation may just be next on line for a new novel! LOL. (",)
05/27/10
Thoroughly enjoyable.

Hmm...maybe I need to try that!
So you decided to use Betty and me to build this story on? How about rewriting it and letting me be the mysterious woman in the corner with the best selling book? Can she wear huge sunglasses and a floppy hat and a very big over-the-shoulder book bag that also has a bottle of spring water and a half-eaten sandwich in it? But don't appproach her for an autograph. She's far too busy eavesdropping! Let's call a spade a spade! LOL Nice entry!
05/28/10
This was such a fun and cozy read. I like your natural style and the hint of mystery. As another commenter mentioned, too, I enjoyed this from beginning to end.