The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1278 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I enjoyed this delightful story of an Italian mother-in-law.
This is cute. It was nice to see the transition. I'm glad they ended up as friends.
05/17/08
I love love LOVE the voice of this! This was an absolutely enjoyable piece, with such a fun transformation, slow though it was. Delightful.
I can relate to this more than I would like to! If this was fiction for the author, you sure fooled me. Great job of telling an age-old story ... which is why my brother is still single at 56.
05/19/08
Given time, and opportunity, all kinds of opinions can be changed. Great story.
05/23/08
Congratulations, Gregory, on placing 35th overall. Great job!
05/23/08
Congratulations, Gregory, on placing 35th overall. Great job!
"On the occasions when she condescended to dine at Isabella’s, the little sparrow would push her plate away after only a few mouthfuls." - I loved this line. Great description.

I also loved how how you painted such a real picture of how obtuse the mother-in-law was ("rather than give his parents the filial respect they deserved, Tomé had charged off after her.") and then how she changed.

Though it took a great loss in Isabela's life to trigger her change of heart, that's what made the piece believable - often God has to really get our attention before He can help us to grow.

Nice work, Cheri