The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1464 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/13/08
I enjoyed this very much! I love how the MC took the cheating incident and turned it into a teachable moment instead of calling Shayla on it. Way to make hay!
From the title to the end of the story, I was held captive. I love how you won Shayla over with good discipline and cleverness and a teacher's love.
Excellent. Well written. Gripping. What a lesson.
03/15/08
A brave teacher, a smart lady, and a delightful story of how to mend fences. I enjoyed the read, and it was written very well. Kudos!
Wow, as one who works with kids and minorities, it was great to get this inside look at an approach that really worked. Thank you!
03/16/08
Very good story, full of hope!
Laury
Wow! an excellent way to cross barriers even today! Dancing...they just have a God given rythem!
Brave teacher. Thanks for the look behind the scenes. More details of the dancing would have been fun, darn word limit.
Oooh, I kind of wished your title had tied in more. I was really expecting something with a big dance, but you did really well with the story that came instead. I liked how she worked at the bond between teacher/student than friends. It was great! I especially loved the part with changing the answer key, that was great! ^_^
03/20/08
I wish I'd read this 15 years ago! My introduction to the teaching profession was .. would you believe ... at Fairlea Women's Prison, Fairfield, Melbourne.
Trying to teach in a hostile environment. I can really relate to this. Pity I didn't think to use that sort of strategy. I was so naiive.
I'd have to disagree with the previous comment on the title. To me there was a subtle illustration of the title in the faltering steps of the MC as she began to learn the dance of the local culture. The actual, awkward dance at the end capped it off nicely.
Probably get away with not using dialogue here, although it would help. The word limit makes it difficult.