The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1631 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This is an excellent depiction of contrast between Ella's tenderness and Janice's indifference, with a real punch at the end.
02/29/08
Oh no, the daughter ends up teaming with the indifferent nurse who talks too much, rather than the one who actually cares. Did not see that coming.
02/29/08
This is beautifully written and thought provoking.
03/03/08
I cannot think of enough good words to say about this piece, but I'll name a few. It moved me, drew me in, tugged at my heart strings, made me cry. Ok, that's several, but it is truly a keeper. You wrote this masterfully.
03/03/08
The world needs more people like Ella in it. You realistically portrayed life in a nursing home. Great writing.
I felt the helplessness of the lady who'd had a stroke and the warmth of Ella. Great characterization.
This entry made me cry too; mostly because it made me wonder what kind of person I really show to the people around me. Having been a nurse, I know I'm more of the good type, but it's always good to reevaluate what others see. Thanks!
03/06/08
CONGRATs on your EC!!!!
03/06/08
Congratulations on your EC. You did a fantastic job capturing what unfortunately happens in way too many 'facilities.' Very good writing.
Having done the job of Janice and Ella, and having worked with many carers, I can say that this perfectly illustrates the different attitudes of the aids. I hope I was more of an Ella than a Janice. Wonderful article - congrats on your EC!
Congrats this was moving and thought provoking. Oh that Janice, I could just.......
WOW! I'm glad I didn't miss this piece. It was very well done and directly on topic. I loved the contrast between the two and I felt so sad at the end when the daughter missed out the whole thing when she said what a great person Janice was. Huh. I would've liked to give Janice a piece of my mind! Ella was such a sweetheart though, wonderful writing, you made me really get into the story! ^_^
03/08/08
You've hit the topic on the head (is that the right analogy?!) beautifully, and given the reader a solid reminder of what is important too. Well done. This is a very touching piece.