The service gifts are often neglected in discussions. There is usually much talk and controversy about other gifts, such as the gift of tongues. Those types of gifts are fully explained in the word of God, but have often become dividing factors in the body of Christ. This should not be. All spiritual gifts are given to bring unity and edification in the body and all come from one Spirit.
Ephesians 4:1-7 KJV
(1) I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
(2) With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
(3) Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
(4) There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
(5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
(6) One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
(7) But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
What a wonderful Savior to give every one of us the gift of grace. Some of our gifts differ according to that grace.
Romans 12:6-8 KJV
(6) Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
(7) Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
(8) Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
Jesus opened the way for us to go to heaven which is the greatest gift of all. Our Messiah fulfilled all things and after His ascension He was able to give spiritual service gifts to us.
Ephesians 4:8-11 KJV
(8) Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
(9) (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
(10) He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
(11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
An apostle is an ambassador of the gospel and builds on no man?s foundation, but only the foundation of Jesus Christ. A prophet speaks as inspired by God. Pastors as shepherds are to watch over the sheep of God. A teacher instructs us in the word of God. A person who exhorts invites people to come near to listen and gives comfort. A sincere giver should be willing to share what God has blessed him with. One who rules or presides should do it speedily and properly. If a person has the gift of mercy he will be happy to show his compassion to others.
Jesus spoke the words of His Father. Jesus possessed all the service gifts rolled into one glorious package. To minister means to serve. Jesus came to minister and to give his life for us.
Mark 10:45 KJV
(45) For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
We are told in Romans 12:1 our reasonable service is to present our bodies a living sacrifice. We are admonished to be a God pleaser, not a man pleaser in Galatians 1:10. We are to use our spiritual service gifts in the body of Christ; however, our servitude belongs to Christ and Him alone.
Colossians 3:23 KJV
(23) And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
John 12:26 KJV
(26) If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.
Spiritual gifts of service are:
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: (Ephesians 4:12-13 KJV)
The opinions expressed by authors may not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
Accept Jesus as Your Lord and Savior Right Now - CLICK HERE
JOIN US at FaithWriters for Free. Grow as a Writer and Spread the Gospel.