Previous Challenge Entry (Level 3 - Advanced)
Topic: Reading (01/25/07)
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
SEND A PRIVATE COMMENT
ADD TO MY FAVORITES
Wrapped in a quilt, snug in my recliner, I draw the edges of the warm blanket tighter about me. It is past midnight, approaching the early morning hours. I remain awake, troubled by what I am reading in the Scriptures, unable to find clear meaning.
On the table beside me are stacks of reference books and study guides, sullen from being abandoned. Useless things. I’ve scoured them page-by-page, to no avail. My knowledge is nearly equal to most of these scholars, so deemed. It’s not enough. I need, want…more.
My frustration comes out in a desperate sigh. I lift the beloved Book, feel the soft cover mold to my hands, breathe in the familiar smell of well-worn leather. I try reading again, but end up pressing the pages to my heart, willing them to transfer to the deeper recesses of my being…anything to quench this intense hunger and thirst for understanding.
My eyes close to the sound of the wind hurling its force against the little cabin. The timbers shudder and cower in response. I try shutting out the noise with a passionate plea.
“Eternal One, within whom the wisdom of the ages resides, these are Your words written by Your hand, and meant to be understood. Yet no one seems to know what You are saying.”
While I’m lost in my angst, the howling wind subsides, slinking away like a bully ignored. In its place comes a gentle breath, a warm whisper, hovering.
Ruach HaKodesh. Spirit of Truth. My soul forms the words my lips cannot speak. “Holy. Holy. Holy.”
You have read My words, why are you looking to man for answers?
My eyes remain closed, my voice hushed, humbled. “How can I understand if there is no one to explain the meaning to me?”
I will teach you. Open your mind and see with your heart. Trust Me…
It is a loving rebuke, stirring the embers of my faith. Once again I lower the Bible within reading distance, where I am led to scripture after scripture.
The embers ignite. "I trust You."
I compare verses, one against the other: precept upon precept-line upon line. Darkness gives way to the illumination of spiritual knowledge. Turning back to where I first began my search, I reread the passage…this time with understanding.
Outside, the wind picks up again, threatening the dawn. I close my Bible and turn off the light.
Within, there is only peace.
1. Proverbs 8:17 “I love them that love Me; and those that seek Me early shall find Me.”
2. John 14:26 “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said to you.”
3. 1 John 2:27 “But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you…
4. Isaiah 28:9,10 “Whom shall He teach knowledge? And whom shall He make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little and there a little.”
5. Isaiah 26:3 “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind in stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.
The opinions expressed by authors may not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
Accept Jesus as Your Lord and Savior Right Now - CLICK HERE
JOIN US at FaithWriters for Free. Grow as a Writer and Spread the Gospel.