The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 839 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/11/12
I like this. Very cute!

Personally, I thought this was a bit weak on topic... I maybe would have focused just a bit more on the ending, and maybe gave some more descriptors of the BAD pancakes, to show just how astonishing this feat was. :)

The beginning reminded me of eating the the dorm cafeteria at college.... Monday we'd have chicken. Wednesday we'd have chicken enchilada casserole. By Saturday, we'd have "gourmet casserole."
Hey that sounds like my mom.
This is a super sweet tribute to your mom. I cook like that too so I could really relate.

I'm not sure you hit the topic though, even though I have tried to be fairly open-minded in this topic because I know the astonishment could be subtle. (There is a thread on the message boards that helps direct the writer to what the judges are looking for.

I also understand that your mom was an incredible influence in your life and you felt the need to write about her. The ending with the quote from the little one made me smile. Keep writing those stories only you can tell.
02/12/12
Nice job with this. I am guessing the "astonishment" part was that her pancakes tasted so good - they kept disappearing by the grandson!
Subtle and nicely done.

Good story - God Bless you~
I enjoyed this so much. I had to chuckle though, because some of my old family recipes kind of fell flat, but thank God practice makes perfect. Thank you for sharing and God bless.
Congratulations for ranking 9th in level two!