The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 678 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I liked the way you worded the last line: "...empty shelves await new glorious volumes to be written about my life." It painted a stark contrast to the despair felt earlier in the piece.
This was nicely done. I was picturing the "rooms" in my own heart as you described the book titles in the forbidden room. Really like the way you did this.
06/11/10
One of the best entries I've read this week. This is a well-written, thoughtful piece. Excellent!
Your piece reminded me of our prayer/song as believers for God to 'clean away the dross'. I like it that you tied the ending to a future faced by the MC with God's new work in their life.
I felt a tad uncomfortable with your use of the present tense at first. But you did a great job sticking with it and it pulled me into your despair. Nice take.
Your descriptive words helped to set the mood and to carry the story along. I did find the phrase "lifeless blob" a bit disconcerting in that blob seemed to break the atmosphere your words had created.
Very well done with deep meaning.
Very well written and well thoughtout. I was pulled into all your rooms and book titles. I really liked the last line about having empty shelves for new books to be written.
06/17/10
Very unique take on the topic. I found some of the present tense phrasing to be awkward - think "My eyes water" rather than "My eyes begin to water" - makes the phrasing even more immediate. Loved the message!
06/17/10
When I am in despair, I imagine God's arms wrapped around me, holding me. I was taken to that place as I reached the end of your piece.
Well done!