The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1225 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/10/06
What a great piece! A sage, old captain, a restless young man, and a mystrerious river: gosh, that spells out adventure! Perhaps you could do a follow up story? I 'd like to hear more about this man's travels. And I love how you incorporated the topic so well. Keep up the good work!
09/10/06
Such wise words in this piece - and I love how you describe the scene/setting and characterization. Really enjoyed this!
09/10/06
I loved this! Such authentic voices, both of your narrator and of the riverboat pilot. And he had some very wise words. The only thing I'd change (if you're so inclined) is the last "I never forgot..." sentence; it's a bit of a let-down. After being such an interesting person--I'll bet you can think of something better for him to end this charming and quirky narrative with.

One of the most river-y pieces this week, and among my favorites.
Really good story. You kept my interest from first word to last. Keep writing and sharing.
09/13/06
Such a refreshing story. I loved this line for the truth of it:

I had a horse, a few bags, and lots of advice from folks who hoard good ideas without ever getting around to using any themselves.

Been guilty of not using those fine ideas, or sharing them sometimes. Great sentence among a wonderful piece. Blessings:)

09/13/06
Such a refreshing story. I loved this line for the truth of it:

I had a horse, a few bags, and lots of advice from folks who hoard good ideas without ever getting around to using any themselves.

Been guilty of not using those fine ideas, or sharing them sometimes. Great sentence among a wonderful piece. Blessings:)

09/13/06
Wow! This is excellent! I really enjoyed the "ride" down old "Miss". You portrayed the captain well. Great job!
09/13/06
Thanks for the trip down the river. Very on topic. I think I even heard seagulls and other typical sounds near the water. Great descriptions - felt like I was right there. Good job. Jo
09/13/06
Interesting story. I stumbled on your first sentence, but I enjoyed the trip on the Mississippi. Sounds like that was a very wise pilot.
09/14/06
I could imagine Twain lurking about. Never heard the Mississippi referred to as "Miss" before... clever... Excellent read, interesting, authentic voice.