The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 809 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/11/05
Wow! Well done. I really enjoyed the vivid descriptions and the development of your story.
Nice job. I especially liked the comparison of the opal and a friend. That was ingenious. I enjoyed this.
04/11/05
You are a very gifted writer. This was a beautiful way to express the impact a friend has on another. I will never see an opal the same way again.
04/12/05
The image of the opal as symbol/reflection of friendship is beautiful.
04/15/05
Lovely story. The way you used the opal to highlight the value of friendship was brilliant. Very good writing.
04/16/05
A sweet lesson-filled story for people of all ages. I enjoyed your analogy and the receptiveness your daughter had to it. Great job! - Nancy
04/17/05
I enjoyed your article and also learnt something new about opals and October having two birthstones. I had heard that opals need to be worn often to look their best. I've been typing this seven-fingered and one-thumbed, while holding my opal pendant, and can see what you mean. It'll remind me of friendship each time I wear it now.
04/17/05
P.S. Just a suggestion ... not to detract from your article .... You could centre the whole piece around opals instead of the garden needing watering, feeding etc. You could talk about the beauty within, the fire inside, an ugly rock even that reveals the vein of gorgeous colour when you get inside etc. Still use the same central storyline about the park and getting to know a child. Just a thought.