The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 909 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/07/09
This is a funny story. I have a neighbor that has problems like this because he is also from China. We have him practicing a tongue twister to help him learn. He repeats "Do little leeches love larger leeches or do large and little leeches lack love?" He still can't say it after two years.
03/07/09
Very intriguing. I'm glad everything worked out at the end.
Perhaps read the story aloud when you write it. It seems as though there were some grammatical errors. However it could be me and part of the humor of your story. If so, I apologize for not catching that.
03/09/09
A funny story. I never thought of the language problem. You made Feng frustration come through really well.
Great job describing the language barrier that many Chinese people face when they come to this country. I just wish that the nurse might have had a little more compassion, but yet it may be that she may have had several crank calls before.
01/17/10
This is interesting. I get what you are driving at, about communication problems.

But there is only one problem.

It is the Japanese, that do not have an "L" sound, the chinese, korean, and vietnamese languages, all have an "L" and a trilling or rolling "R" like the spanish speakers do.

There is the letter "L" sound and symbol in Chinese. mainland Cantonese and Mandarin especially.

I am an american adopted from China as a young girl.

I spoke cantonese exclusively until I was 5.

In American I am "Teri", but in Chinese I am "Mai Lin".

How could my Chinese name be Mai Lin, without the L?

How could other chinese people be named Lo Wei, Lee, Le, Li, LeLu, Lin, Lyn or Lin Hao (Survived the earthquake in Sichuan in 2008). Without the L?

You have heard of "Lee Jun Fan" AKA "Bruce Lee", and of course you have heard of Laos, near Vietnam?