The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1036 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/17/08
Oh, the love you feel for your dad is well evident in this story! I, too, have a dad who would teach us things, "just in case". And, you're right-I often remember the feelings I had about the importance of the moment, or the setting and what dad was doing for me- but not necessarily the info that went with it! I enjoyed reading this.
04/18/08
What a lovely take on the topic this week. It was creative, and yet stayed right on theme. It was a wonderful tribute without being too sentimental - sometimes that can be hard to do.

I predict that if you write like this all the time you'll soon be leaving the Beginner's Circle!
04/18/08
Great title, original take on the topic. This was a good read.

Take a look at this section: He could explain your ear off about a lot of things that are important, things you need to know to keep on going, and he cares so much for you to know it, because if you get into a jam, then you’ll know how to get out of it... and consider re-writing it with I replacing you. See how much more personal that makes it? As a rule, it's best to avoid 2nd person when you're writing a memoir.

Just something to remember for future writings; you're very good.
Loved this from start to finish. You managed to show how intimately you love him and all the important things about him. I loved the way you described his shirt dangling so closely to your face. I imagined it was a green shirt. I felt so close to the story that I could make out the room, with its window and pipes. You did a really good job.
04/24/08
Congratulations on your 3rd place. I really like your last line--very powerful.