What a Break!
In a few days, my family would be going back home, having lived in Khartoum for about
I had packing to do, and things to sort out as the packing men were to come the next day and three children to look after; the youngest was only two years old.
After we had gone through the hustle of breakfast, I turned to my daughter, knowing I could depend on her to play with her brothers as I continued with the back breaking and headache bringing task of packing.
Before I could give her any instruction, the door bell rang, It was Francis and his brother Edward who had come to play with the kids and gladly so.
I left them enjoying themselves. I could hear shrieks and squeals of laughter and I moved faster and faster about my duties; But not for long.
There was a crush and a cry, my husband and I both rushed outside at the same time, Edward had fallen off a bicycle.
“Children, have a break, go in and get some drinks and refresh yourselves.” I said as I looked at the fallen boy.
Talking of a break, Edwards arm looked twisted and I could see the arm swelling.
In seconds the arm was all swollen, so my husband rushed him to hospital; the arm was fractured and had to be reset and plastered.
I did all I could to calm the children down, after a while they went back to the court yard, and this time I made sure there was no bicycle outside.
Lunch time was around the corner, I decided to quickly prepare some thing, before hand.
I lit the oven and put in potatoes to bake and went outside to check on the kids.
Entering the kitchen, I opened the oven to see how far the cooking had gone.
“I thought I had lit the oven,” I thought to my self, it wasn’t the self igniting type.
I took the match box, opened the oven and lit the match;
What happened next was beyond me;
A huge consuming fire ball was right in front of my eyes, It moved from up, into the oven and there was an explosion!
I stood there helpless as the cooker exploded on every side and what was left was the skeleton frame.
“Mummy, your on fire,” came Lillian’s voice from the door way.
I came to my senses with a start. The children were now wailing, their Mummy was literally burning.
I had treated hair, and it was ablaze, a combined smell of burning hair and burning flesh came to my nostrils.
I grabbed the tea towel and tried to stop the burning to no avail, I ran outside, still ablaze, scooped sand and flung it all over my body. The sand had use after all. The burning hair had fallen all over my arms and face. I was a sight!
My little boy refused to come to me for a week!
My husband came back thinking he too was coming to rest; but comes home to a second accident to happen that day- a burnt wife.
As my husband helped me with the first aid, I thought about the incident that had just occurred;
“It’s a funny thing I didn’t smell the gas” I mused
To cut the long story short, Gods hand was in my protection.
The cooker had exploded, but Gods hand shielded me.
Later I learnt that at the time of the accident, the church was praying for me and the family, for they knew of our journey.
God prompted pastor Darrel together with the church to pray at the exact time when I needed it most.
Never underestimate the prompting of the Holy Spirit, and the power of Prayer.
I thank God for saving me from gas fire, and I thank God for a praying church, and a praying Pastor.
That Sunday I didn’t go to Church because I was Surrounded by boxes and l thought if I took the Day off from church, I would finish my packing,(which of course I didn’t) but God in His mercy showed me His Loving grace and covered me with His hand of protection.
Another break which came rather as a shock was to see the topic for this week, as I had written this testimony the night before the new topic. What a leading of the Holy Spirit, a break indeed.
* * *
The opinions expressed by authors may not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be right now. CLICK HERE
JOIN US at FaithWriters for Free. Grow as a Writer and Spread the Gospel.