The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1200 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I wanted to be the first to pat you on the back for a wonderful and humorous entry this week. There were so many well-worded sentences that I couldn't begin to list them. All of Paragraph 4 and P. 8-10 were some that I noted. I especially liked "The ivy remained unimpressed and thriving."
Didn't mean to hit the enter button before I finished. The one sentence paragraphs were very effective when describing her escalating personal 'war' with the ivy. Had just three, I hope constructive, comments. 'Wrung' should be changed to its homophone 'rung'. Watch overuse of adverbs, those pesky -ly words. Someone, maybe on the message boards, wrote that an author could try erasing all the adverbs, then read the selection without them, and see if the adverbs are necessary, then write back in the ones that are needed for clarity. In my research for this topic, I learned that the best way to cause further damage to a wall with clinging (not tendril type) vines is to pull at them. Most methods cause damage to the mortar. That aside, this contained a timely lesson for all of us at the end. Well done!
11/28/05
At first it would appear that you have written inside the box, but then you get to the end and it's evidently clear that the ball is WAY out of the park... oh, I mean... the box.
It has a message, it's a good read and it doesn't weigh you down with emotion. Kudos.
One of the most inventive takes on the topic in this challenge. I love the language and especially liked how you tied it all in at the bottom. A common activity that now will trigger a spiritual thought - excellent job on establishing take home and take to your life value!
11/29/05
Well-crafted story, brilliant character-development, humour, and a message. You've got it all!!!
11/30/05
I thought this was humorous, cute and great action. I love the ending. You did a great job!
12/02/05
An entertaining read on an unusually dull subject called "work"; however, you made it sound almost fun with the humor thrown in for good measure. I've always heard "kill the roots and the greenery will die"...but now I see you were trying to blend in the particular the Bible Verse. Nice job (excuse the pun)! Kudos

I
12/04/05
At last, Brenda, I've found it. What a fun read. The gardener/sneezer inside me totally identifies. The solution and our downfall so simply applied. Well done. Yeggy
Very enjoyable and a great message. Well done.
12/05/05
You did a good job with this, and I liked the staccato sentences throughout.