The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 730 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/26/12
What a great story of what this wedding planner experienced in her youth at potlucks. I especially liked the terminology "dinner on the ground." While I thought the potluck dinner was a good one for the bride, I had to wonder... if she couldn't afford the dinner that she wanted, and perhaps other things for her wedding, why had she hired a wedding planner? There's a huge expense right there. Other than that, I found the explanation of what this wedding planner experienced as a child most interesting.
07/27/12
An all together different type of entry for this topic. I enjoyed the emotions and thought provoking moments. Good job. Thanks. God Bless~
07/29/12
A great story and what a great idea...a potluck wedding....I liked this!
This is a lovely story and took me back to a simpler time. It may have been a busier time but it felt less hectic. I also smiled about the definition of Decoration Day. I knew what it was but not how it got its name.

Be careful with little things like in one paragraph of dialog you didn't have an end quote. taking my sisters and I shopping should be my sisters and me. (A good trick to check is take out the sisters and you wouldn't say she took I shopping). Another little thing is instead of using taglines like she smiled to mark dialog (It's hard to smile and talk at the same time) Use that spot to show the reader a bit about the character's personality. For example. "That sounds lovely." She smiled warmly and covered my hand with her own. It still shows who is speaking and that the person is nurturing and kind.

I think you did a nice job of tackling the topic in a fresh and delightful way. My daughter is getting married in October and with money being tight she has asked several people to make something to help cut down the expense. It's a wonderful idea and the important details will be handled so all they have to worry about is having a wonderful life together.
Congratulations for placing 8th in your level!
08/02/12
congrats of your placement!! you are coming along fast...so glad for you!

GOd Bless

Lynn