The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1110 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/21/11
Thank God for child labor laws. A well told story, all too familiar for times back then. God bless!
An interesting story of a young boy who runs away from home.

The reader learns enough of his background to understand his reasons, and is glad when he finds a 'place' of refuge and employment.
It is indeed sad to recall that this scenario was very much a reality for some children.
My heart was moved with compassion for the young boy.

Spelling error.
"There's no (meet) meat left,..'
07/25/11
So sad that the boy felt a little kindness was as good as Heaven! I enjoyed this read, it was believable for the times...at first I thought nine seemed a bit young for the story plot, for how the boy handled himself and how the men treated him, but then, back then, I know kids had to grow up a lot faster and tougher.
07/26/11
That's one brave kid to break out all on his own from Wilcannia! You've brought us into the harshness of the setting despite a couple of typos, and ended with a promise. Well done.
07/28/11
Very well told except for some typos. Would love to read a longer story about Bob! He's an arresting character and perfect to show the bravery necessary to survive!