The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1048 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Ahhh. What can I say? EXCELLENT from beginning to end. A tiny note- I would have used quotes here: Across the front was printed "Mery Christmas". :-) Cat
11/14/08
Beautiful detail and characterization. I was absolutely engaged!
I assumed the child was making a card for her own father and wondering why her mother was baking for her ex. Nice twist.
Emotion evoking!Great writing on a hard subject to write about.
Having a parent who swallowed a handful of pills a few times, I can relate to her frustration. Hopefully, the card is the slap in the head he needed. Excellent writing.
11/19/08
A meaningful card heals the sick at heart. You have described the moods of the characters very well. Glad the story concluded in a note of encouragement for the ones waiting and needing to be shown some appreciation.
One thing I really liked about this piece was the way you showed the mother and daughter communicating in the kitchen - it made it all seem so real. You skillfully brought out some emotions on three sides of a spectrum, the mother, the child and the grandfather while delivering a poignant message. Great job!
11/19/08
Just the right touch of sweetness and emotion...very well done!
11/20/08
I really liked the emotional feel of this piece. Nicely done!