The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1082 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
You speak of your memory so fondly that it draws the reader in. Very nicely told.
10/16/08
Weaving the rememberance of your father with the soberness of his passing is touching.
10/17/08
A beautiful snapshot in time. I could picture the scene and feel the emotions.
10/18/08
Beautifully detailed. I like the tender, reverent, and optimistic way in which grief is handled. This is a piece in which many can relate and will be comforted by.
From your post in the hinting section of the boards, I know that your father passed away just a few days ago after you wrote this precious story. I'm so sorry for your loss. The light of your father's wonderful life shines through your words here. As a cherished father, his 'Spirit of Christmas Past' lights the way into the future for us all. This skillfully told story is a wonderful tribute to a dear father from the hand and heart of an equally cherished son. May God give you a special gift of strength as you grieve the loss of your earthly time with your father.
Very well written and touching story ... even more so after reading your post in the hinting section.
This would have been a beautiful story under any circumstances, but it is especially poignant in view of what you noted in your hint. I'm so sorry for your loss. I just lost my Dad in August. But we can rejoice that they each will be celebrating Christmas with Christ himself this year.

Thank you for a lovely story.
Even if I had not read your post on the message board, this story would have tugged at my heart strings. My eyes started watering with the line about his dad saying that the Christmas Tree was the spirit of Christmas past. And the last two lines had me swallowing hard. This is so tenderly written.
I am so very sorry that you lost your father. But I hope you find peace in knowing you'll see him again. God Bless
10/22/08
I hardly know what to say - this is such a touching piece and then to hear of your Dad's homegoing after... sending prayers for the family and thanks for this piece!
10/22/08
I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. Your ending is glorious. Your writing is so good, I could see each event as it took place.
Very touching and beautiful. Well done!
10/23/08
Tender and lovely story. And I am so sorry for your loss this week. Praying for you...
10/23/08
Wow, amazing job of capturing that moment. So sorry to hear about your loss....this must be a piece close to your heart. May God bring all comfort to you and your family this year.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad last year and immediately related to the children trying to honor their father while seeing a despondent mother. The mom answering the door in her robe is right on. This story is almost prophetic.

I was counseled that I'd just lost both parents as my mother would never again be the woman she was when my dad was alive. Sadly, it is true. I'm praying for you and your family during these difficult days. Sincerely, Angel