FaithWriters.com news and information for the write-brained Christian!
"He that composes himself is wiser than he that composes a book." – Benjamin Franklin
This quote by Benjamin Franklin is great, isn't it? Yes, many writers are thought to be wise because of the wonderful books they produce. But even the most brilliant writer can't compare to the man who composes himself and lives righteously. Of course, the Bible offers everything we need to live a wise and victorious life (the book of Proverbs is a great place to start!). As Christian writers, our first priority should be the way we live – not the way we write.
That said, we are certainly supposed to use the talents God gave us as writers. And, as readers, there are authors whose words have jumped off the page and into our hearts. You can probably think of a few that have influenced your thinking, and possibly even changed your life. Be sure to check out the Out of the Mouths of FaithWriters section at the end of this newsletter as some of our members share the books that have strongly impacted their lives.
COUNTDOWN TO THE CONFERENCE
August 12 and 13! Those are the dates of the 4th annual FaithWriters conference. Excitement has been building, and as we've been stressing for the past several months, this year promises to be better than ever!
Here are 5 reasons to attend the FaithWriters conference:
1. Encouragement. If you're a writer, then you've faced discouragement. At the FaithWriters conference, you'll be more encouraged than you've ever been before.
2. Motivation. Need a slight push down the writing path? The FaithWriters conference will provide just the motivation you've been lacking.
3. Knowledge. This conference is so jam-packed with fabulous teaching that it will be impossible to leave the way you came. Learn about conflict in story writing, poetry, writing for children, maintaining a Godly attitude as a writer, God's plan for your writing, devotional writing, tips on the FaithWriters Weekly Writing Challenge, the jobs within the job of writing, managing deadlines, the art of interviewing, how to breathe life into your writing, blogging, marketing, and a whole lot more that will help take your writing to new levels!
4. Connection. Ever feel like no one "gets" you? Well, you'll never feel more understood than when you're in a room full of other writers. Here, you'll be free to express yourself, "talk shop," and be the creative person God made you to be without getting strange looks and odd eyebrow raises. You will leave with more friends than you've ever had before.
5. Spiritual Refreshing. The only thing better than a writer's conference is a Christian writer's conference. There's nothing like being "on the same page" with others who share the same faith and beliefs. Others who will pray for you and with you and are striving towards the same ultimate goal: to write words that glorify the Father and further His Kingdom.
This year, you'll even have the opportunity to pitch your manuscript to a literary agent! Linda Glaz, an agent with Hartline Literary Agency, will be on hand to listen to your pitches. Who knows? You may leave the conference with a contract!
We truly hope you are able to join us for this fantastic event. The price is definitely right at only $82 ($72 for Platinum members), which includes all workshops, plus Saturday breakfast, lunch and snacks. Time is running out! Register online: http://www.faithwriters.com/conference.php
CONNECT WITH US
Stay updated on everything going on at FaithWriters.com, from the Writing Challenge to the conference to the Page Turner contest to lots of other nitty gritty news and information. Here are three ways to connect with us so you don't miss a thing!
SUBSCRIBE to the FaithWriters Blog - http://faithwriters.com/blog/
LIKE us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/FaithWriters
FOLLOW us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/faithwriters
OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF FAITHWRITERS
There were lots of responses to this month's question! Writers seem to be passionate about books (go figure!)
The question was:
BESIDES THE BIBLE, WHAT BOOK HAS IMPACTED YOUR LIFE THE MOST?
Here are the answers from a few select members:
"Soon after I was saved in 1962, I read IN HIS STEPS, not realizing it was not a true story. Nevertheless, it had a significant effect on shaping my life from then to now." - David Ritchie
"The book that has impacted me the most would have to be YOU GOTTA KEEP DANCIN' by Tim Hansel. Joy is a choice.!!!! This kind of Godly attitude can change lives and our responses to every situation." - Linda Goltz
"The novel HALFBACK TOUCH, authored by Thomas J. Dygard targeted the dramatic rebellion of a young man's life; a challenge that awakens Joe Atkins ability to change and become the person who stands against the influence of friends once misleading him." – Grace-Ann Peace
"THE PURPOSE DRIVE LIFE, which taught me that God created me to impact the world (or my little part of it) through writing, Sunday school puppet skits, children's plays and a pre-teen book (in progress). I recommend it to anyone looking for their purpose in life." - Norma Dalton
"LIKE DANDELION DUST, by Karen Kingsbury. Being an adoptive parent myself, it broke my heart to see the heartache both sides went through. It was very inspirational for me when the biological mother realized she was doing the right thing by giving Joey back to his adoptive parents. It also taught the adoptive parents that they needed the Lord in their lives." - Gee Lucero
"BATTLEFIELD OF THE MIND, by Joyce Meyer. This book taught me that I have to defeat the enemy in my mind or mentally before I can defeat him physically." - Miriam Kinai
Next month's question:
WHAT INSPIRES YOU AS A WRITER?
Send your brief (and creative) response to FaithWriters.email@example.com. Please keep your answers to 1-2 sentences. Check back next month to see if your answer was selected to appear.
THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING FAITHWRITERS.COM. WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AT THE CONFERENCE!