Are You Polluted?
by Kimberly Chastain
Free to Share
Free to Share
SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE
HIRE THIS WRITER
No, I’m not talking about greenhouse gases or if you are drunk. So, what am I talking about? Recently, I have been reading in James and a verse stopped me in my tracks. James 1:27, in the end of the verse says, “Keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” Another version reads, “keeps oneself unstained from the world.” Do you feel polluted by the world? I certainly do. We are bombarded daily by messages about the world’s way: greed, watch out for #1, don’t let anyone walk all over you, and make sure your children are the fastest, smartest, etc. We also have to have the best of everything. I think it is much easier to be polluted by the world than to stay unpolluted.
So, how do we begin to become unpolluted by the world? How do we become unstained? Here are a few humble suggestions:
1. We need to affirm and believe in absolute truth. The world keeps telling us there is no absolute truth. The Bible is true and has been for centuries. God’s word never changes.
2. We need to study the Bible and know it, so we can recognize untruth when we see it and hear it.
3. We have to be discerning listeners. In our Post modern world, people are good at sharing a small piece of truth and then adding their own untruths. We need to listen to the whole argument and dissect word for word.
4. We need to pray for wisdom. James 1:5 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault and it will be given to him.” If something does not seem right pray to God and ask Him for wisdom about the situation.
5. We need to daily put on the armor of God discussed in Ephesians 6. We are in a serious battle for truth in our world.
6. Are we trying to live out God’s values or the world’s values?
7. Are we teaching our children that we as Christians are different and we make different choices in the movies we watch, TV shows we watch, and music we listen to?
8. We need to keep our eyes focused on God, the author and perfector of our faith. The more time we spend with Him the more we will recognize pollution in our lives.
9. Do we daily ask forgiveness of sins and get cleansed of the pollution in our lives?
10. We are not in this battle alone, but we must access the power we have through the Holy Spirit, our comforter.
Finally, I think we have to be proactive in keeping from being polluted. We have to ask God for help, direction, and wisdom. We have to know the Bible in order to recognize untruth. May we all consciously seek God’s help in staying unpolluted and unstained.
Kimberly M. Chastain, MS, LMFT is the Christian Working Mom Coach and a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. She is the author of 2 ebooks, Pearls of Encouragement for Christian Working Moms and Help! My Preteen/Teenager is Driving me Nuts. You can find both of those books at www.christianworkingmom.com. Also, check out her blog and Online Bible Study as well. You can have coaching tips delivered to your email box daily, find out more at http://www.kimberlychastain.com/cwmtips.htm.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Kimberly Chastain or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.