As many of you know, the past year has been one of many health 'challenges' for us.
In fact the Home Health Care nurses and Physical Therapists are still coming each day
to make sure that La Moyne is coming along ok following her recent hospitalizations.
Pastor/friend Dr. Cleve Haley calls quite often to check on us and when he called just now, we got to laughing as we talked about how maybe they could (should) also send
a Mental Therapist to help us :)
Due to the stresses of late, it's been more difficult for me to concentrate, so I've had to draw upon previous thoughts. When my legs were hurting this afternoon, I reminded myself that if I'm going to send out devotionals to help others, then I need to re-read some for my own benefit. This one 'spoke to me'.....hope it will minister to you as well.
The Lord says:
"Even to your old age and gray hairs, I am He...I am He Who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you.
I will sustain you and I will rescue you." (Isaiah 46:4 NIV)
Good Scriptures to read:
II Timothy 3:14-4:8
1. As long as we live, it is by God's grace and for God's glory.
(Ecclesiastes 12: 13-14 and I Corinthians 10:31)
2. Do not take life for granted -- enjoy every day, no matter what.
Study Philippians for "Life at it's best"
The theme is 'Joy' = Jesus and you, with nothing between.
3. You never quit doing the Will of God, which is CHARACTER..as well as CALL.
Jeremiah 29:10-14: His Plans = Our Plans!
We are ALWAYS 'laborers together with God' (I Cor. 3:9)
Make sure that you always know Who is boss.
A good theme for life is "God is God....and I am not!"
4. Never lose the wonder of it all.
As we grow older, be child-like (Matt. 18:1-4) not childish!
Love to live and live to love.
Don't lose enthusiasm (which in the Greek is 'en theos' which means 'in God').
5. Live and love with Eternity in mind.
Spend some of your time on that which will outlive you....
the spiritual as well as material.
Writing from a Roman prison, the Apostle Paul deals with the things that last.
So much now is temporary....or throw away.
6. Jesus must always be your sufficiency.
(II Cor. 3:4-5...8:9...9:8...and 12:7-10)
7. Intimacy is the spice of love and life, especially with God.
Your spouse may die, but Hebrews 13:8 says:
"Jesus lives and is the same yesterday, today and forever".
8. Your best Book will always be the Bible! (See II Timothy 3:14-17)
It is absolutely reliable and timeless.
The best 'pill' is the 'gos-pill' (Gospel)....easy to take and always does some good. (Ps.119)
9. Maturity is more important than age.
Salvation is a life-time of maturing where birth is followed by becoming like Jesus.
Life after death is important, but so is life after birth!
Hebrews 6 is a great chapter on
"Let us go on to higher ground and be complete in Christ".
10. Fear (awe/respect) of God is a requisite/requirement for long-life.
If you have no respect for those you see, how can you respect God....
Whom you cannot see?
However we can (if we will), see God in so much...and in so many.
11. The body is a tent for the soul, but is also the Temple of the Holy Spirit
(I Cor. 6:19-20), so take care of it!
The longer you live, the longer the Holy Spirit can use your body to serve God.
12. Don't forget to 'remember'...and always be thankful to God, family and friends.
But...remember to forget those mistreatments and wrongs done to you.
YOU CANNOT AGE WELL, IF YOU CANNOT FORGIVE!
13. Also, let God deal with the past...do NOT live with regrets!
Don't live with:
'if only I-had of'.
14. Enjoy the fruit of your laborers.
You live again through lives you have touched.
Your opportunities for service may be fewer, but you serve through others.
Also, look for opportunities to serve:
~those who are home-bound
Hebrews 11:4b "Abel tho dead, lives" (Immortality of influence)
Love has no boundaries when death takes its toll.
15. When storm of life hit, be sure and remember Who is in the boat with you!
(See incidents on the Sea of Galilee)
Also, read Scripture on "Nevertheless" and "but God".
16. Don't let the world steal your positive attitude.
Victor Frankl (in a Nazi concentration camp) said:
"They took away from me everything visible, but they could not take away my attitude!"
See Blessed Attitude of Matthew 5:1-12.
The atmosphere around us, needs to be like salt/light (vs. 13-16)....
and the actions of love follow (vs. 17-48).
17. Don't crucify today between two thieves...yesterday and tomorrow.
Two of God's favorite words are 'new' and 'now'.
Too many people look back...or ahead....and miss TODAY!
18. Enjoy two miracles of God:
~Preservation (good reason you are still living)
Finish strong! Study the word 'endurance'.
Don't allow failures of the past corrupt present and future actions!
19. Heaven is:
~REAL (John 14:1-9)
~a place of RELIEF and RELEASE (Rev. 20:4)
~a place of REUNION (I Thes. 4:13f)
~a place of REWARD (II Timothy 4:1-8).
20. Doubt your doubts and direct your doubts.
Go to God in the Scriptures and in Prayer.
Believe your beliefs and remember the Resurrection of Jesus underlines....
ALL of God's promises (past, present, future and eternity).
Don't be a 'why'ner, but trust the Who of life!
21. Don't forget to thank God, for 'a thankful heart does good, like medicine'.
(Also see Philippians 4:4-7)
We may be sorrowful, but rejoice in the midst of it...
for Jesus lives by His Spirit within you.
"Greater is the power in you, than any power in the world". (I John 4:4)
22. Patience is a wonderful virtue (II Peter 1:4-8)
Matthew 7:12 is a great command:
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". (Continuous action)
23. Be sure and communicate well with people...and compliment often.
24. Don't draw anxieties from past family medical histories.
Be cautious, but not overly...and be careful, but not careless.
TRUST MORE THAN FEAR!
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Travis Wiginton or search for articles on the same topic or others.
LORD BLESSYOU FOR THIS WONDERFULL MESSAGE..
A GREAT BOUQUET OF THANK YOU ROSES..DEAR FRIENDS..IS FOR YOU BROTHER TRAVIS...AND FOR SWEET SISTER LA MOYNE!
YOU BOTH ARE A COUPLE OF GOLDEN CRUTCHES...THE LORD HAS SENT FOR WILLIAM ...AND MYSELF...TO LEAN UPON!
MAY YOU BOTH BE FULLY REWARDED AND TOTALLY HEALED...IN JESUS'S NAME....