by EFEZOKHAE GRACE
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE
HIRE THIS WRITER
Humility is a modest estimate of one’s worth. It is a freedom from pride and arrogance. It is the ability to forget about yourself, your glory, your standing, the recognition you think you deserve. Humility does not mean to think less of yourself but to think of yourself less. Philippians 2:3 and Mark 10:43 explain that whoever will be great among you must first be your servant and whoever will be first among you must be slave of all.
Being humble does not mean you have no achievements or abilities. Jesus acknowledged himself as GOD’s only begotten son and never pretended that his ministry on earth was insignificant.
Giving credits and all glory back to GOD is a sign of humility. Revelations 4:10-11; “the four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things and for thy pleasure they are and were created”.
In John 3:13-16, Jesus Christ washed the feet of his disciples and he gave credits of his works to GOD, he rode on a donkey during triumphant entry, he is GOD’s only son yet made himself nothing and suffered death on the cross for us and the way he deals with people and teaching them all demonstrate his humility. Mathew 11:29- “take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls”
GOD is humble in that he shows concern for lowly humans who try to please Him, extending mercy to them. Also, Naman, the commander of army in 2 Kings 5:9-14, until he humbled himself before GOD by dipping himself in the River Jordan for 7 times did he become healed.
Humility is evidenced by high moral standards and a worthy character. A wise man once said “the greatest enemy of humility is the belief that you are not getting as much credit as much as you deserve”. Humility must show for itself in everything that we do; we must not know it. Williams Law also said “you can have no greater sign of a confirmed pride than when you think you are humble enough”.
BENEFITS OF HUMILITY
• GOD gives grace to the humble- James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5
• GOD blesses the humble- Mathew 5:5
• The humble will be exalted- Luke 14:11, 1 Peter 5:6
• The humble obtain fresh joy in the Lord- Isaiah 29:19
• The reward for humility is the fear of the Lord, riches, honor and life- Proverbs 22:4
• You will be respected- Proverbs 29:23
• Wisdom- Proverbs 11:2
• Humble people are hidden from the wrath of GOD- Zephaniah 2:3
• GOD dwells in the spirit of an humble man- Isaiah 57:15
• The humble are delivered- 2 Samuel 22:28
• The humble receives honor- Proverbs 15:33
• The humble enjoy the warmth of GOD’s approval- Micah 6:8
• Humility helps in maintaining good relationship with others.
• GOD leads the humble in the right way and teaches them His will- Psalms 25:9
• It does allow us to take advice- Proverbs 13:10
WAYS OF BECOMING HUMBLE
• Recognizing that we need GOD and then watch Him meet our needs- Deuteronomy 8:2-3 And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.
And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.
• Developing sympathetic and tender hearts and human minds- 1 Peter 3:8 “Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous”
• Thinking of others better than yourself- Philippians 2:3“Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves”
• Accepting the authority of those over you- 1 Peter 5:5
“Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility...”
One of life’s most awesome privileges is the act of serving others. A wise man once said that “a crave to lead without a disposition to serve is what makes a slave”.
“Humility is the hallmark of heavenly greatness. Some blessings cannot locate you except you are clothed in the cotton and linen of humility”- Pastor E.A Adeboye.
We must be humble because it is in Christ’s nature and it is one of those things GOD requires of us. The opposite of being humble is being proud. GOD detests proud people. When one is filled with pride;
• GOD will bring you low- Isaiah 2:11
• GOD will oppose you- James 4:6
• GOD says a proud look are an abomination to Him- Proverbs 6:17
• Shame comes upon proud people- Proverbs 11:2
• GOD does not tolerate proud and arrogant people- Psalms 101:5
• GOD is scornful towards the proud- Proverbs 3:34
A good example of a proud man in the bible is Nebuchadnezzar. In Daniel 5:20- “when his heart was lifted up and his spirit was hardened so that he dealt proudly, he was deposed from his kingly throne and his glory was taken from him”
As Jonathan Edwards once said “nothing sets a person so much out of the devil’s reach as humility”. Humility builds a great gap for you from the devil.
In conclusion, GOD is Himself humble; in Psalms 138:6 “David praised GOD by saying “though the Lord be high, yet he has respect unto the lowly but the proud he knows from afar”. Be humble so that you will not stumble.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by EFEZOKHAE GRACE or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.