How many here today want to know God’s will for their life? Come on and raise your hands. Don’t be timid. (Wait for a response, but its pretty likely with a group of skittish kids, all you’ll probably get are some dead-pan expressions or some giggles.)
1. Isn’t there anyone here who wants to know for certain what God’s will for your life is?
2. Do you think God keeps this information hidden purposely? Does anyone have any idea what God’s will for his or her life is?
(First go with any discussion your questions might provoke. If nothing comes at you but blank stares, don’t be surprised. Just continue with:)
Well, when someone is really looking for God’s will for their life, they must be positioned for His will. In the book of Romans, in Chapter 12: verses 1-2, reveals the way to get in place for His grace.
(Have someone read that scripture for the group -I’ve found passing scripture reading card assignments first thing as the kids arrive to different youth is a very handy way to fit reading in quickly when the verses are needed. The card just says the book and verse to look up and then the card remains as the bookmark until the quote is needed.)
(Now the LEADER, not the youth who first read it, should repeat the reading with emphasis.)
“Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, present yourselves a living sacrifice to God, holy and acceptable, which is your spiritual act of worship. And do not be conformed any longer to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
From these verses, we see that three things position us for His will:
1. “Brothers” This word indicates a belonging to the family. Being a brother just naturally makes us think there are other siblings and parents, like anyone's family.
2. Secondly. “Living Sacrifice” is a term that deals with salvation and the laying down of Christ for us and of our laying ourselves down for Him. We then allow Him to pick us up for His use. It has been said, “the problem with a living sacrifice is that it wants to get up off the altar.” In other words, we say one thing, but we do something entirely different. Being used by God and chosing His ways to govern our lives isn't the most popular choice sometimes.
3. And third – the renewing of your mind is about your level of spiritually. We need to leave worldly thought behind. If we can empty our minds of fleshly temptations or intellectual thought that often can mislead us, then we can seek our answers to life’s problems in the spiritual realm and He will fill us with His wisdom.
When those three approaches to God become part of our daily walk with Him, God says that we “may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” Without salvation, a servant spirit and a spiritual mind, we won’t be positioned to learn His will.
Ask yourself just how much you care about being positioned for God’s will. Are you passionate about it? Are you willing to do what He wants, even if that means you might have to do something completely different than what you would choose? These matters are very important things to consider, so I hope you’ll spend some time each day this week looking over this lesson and letting God speak to you about it.
Father, help us to realize that we really do belong to a special family of believers. Teach us how to love each other no matter what mood we may be in or how we feel about being loving. Just show us that to love is a decision we consciously choose, as well as a commandment from you. Help us to grow up with less self-consciousness and more God-consciousness. Never let us forget what Christ did for us and teach us to be constantly grateful for our salvation. We want to walk closer to Jesus and learn from him what our purpose is. It is for your glory and in his precious name we pray.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Toni Smothers or search for articles on the same topic or others.