We all have a past – the good, the bad, and even the very ugly; but that is where it should and ought to stay – in the past! Whenever we attempt to carry over our past into our present, it will always have some painful repercussions, (especially if it is a negative past). Consequently, anyone who allows his life to be ruled by his past will be ruined by it.
To forestall being controlled by our past, God providentially positioned our eyes right in front of us so that we can learn to always look forward and ahead, even when we might have done some stupid and despicable things.
Indeed, you do not need your past, except perhaps for the insight, wisdom and experience you may manage to glean from it.
You need to also understand that your past mistakes and shortcomings are always in perpetual league with the forces of darkness, conspiring on how best to quickly and totally destroy you and impede your spiritual and physical progress in life.
Because of this, you need to personally purpose within your heart to be fully detached from your past, (that is, if you truly desire to fulfil your God-given destiny).
The Apostle Paul said, “…but this one thing I do – forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,” (Philippians 3:13). Two actions are implied here: Resolutely forget your past and doggedly reach forth to what is ahead of you!
Consequently, in order to become free from your past, you need to sincerely and earnestly identify what are those issues dogging and bugging your life. Can you truly identify what those things are? And are you truly earnest and desperate to be rid of them?
You can be successfully detached from your past if you will begin to assiduously and religiously adhere to the following instructive and time-tested checklist, (which I have personally found to be very useful and helpful indeed):
• Genuinely and sincerely repent of your past misdeeds, whatever they are.
• Crave to experience genuine brokenness in the place of prayer.
• Separate yourself from every garment of iniquity you may still be wearing.
• Prayerfully deal with the core foundational issues of your life.
• Appropriate by faith the price that Jesus paid for your past sins.
• Prayerfully erase every record of iniquity kept or maintained against you.
• Earnestly crave for fresh, daily encounters of God’s presence in your life.
• Prayerfully confront the fetish idols and false gods of your past life in prayer.
• Prayerfully purpose with God’s help never to go back to ‘sinful Egypt’ again.
• Plead the Blood of Jesus as a safety boundary against attractions to your past.
• Continually give praise to God for a complete detachment from your past.
• Allow God’s words of promises to dwell richly in your heart.
• Deliberately let go of the wrongs and injustices done against you in the past.
• Prayerfully resolve not to dwell in your past anymore nor harbour unforgiveness.
• Allow only the helpful insights from your past to guard against future oversights.
You will surely rise above your past to become a positive plus to your generation for the Lord Jesus Christ!
Michael, Great topic and so appropriate. Here in the USA many believers spend too much time living in the past. Especially in the area of music. Many of us spend too much time listening to music from our younger days and the memories it brings back. However many of the memories of our past, before salvation, have many sinful memories as well,of our younger days. We need to realize that these past memories are not all good and some need to be forgotten...thank you...good writing...