The older my daughter gets the more it's sinking in that I don't
have much time left to spend with her! She's turning 16 in a
couple of months, and I know I won't be seeing her much after she
gets her driver's license.
It's hard to find things to do with your teenage daughter. You
might be busy, they might have better things to do...I encourage
you not to let this time slip away from you. Our interests may
be very different from theirs, but there's always things you can
do to bridge the gap.
If you have more than one daughter, then make sure they each get
their special time alone with you. I have found that these
activities are also great for bonding with teens you want to
reach out to and build relationships with, like a step-daughter.
I've done all of the following activities with my daughter and/or
step-daughter and haven't regretted a moment. Someday I will be
able to look back and appreciate the moments we shared, and I
hope they will too.
1. Take your dog(s) on a walk together.
2. Cook dinner together, letting her choose the menu and help
shop for the ingredients.
3. Pick her up from school and take her out to lunch, even if
she misses part of a class.
4. Drive to the closest big city for the night, stay in a hotel,
and spend all the next day shopping and sightseeing, taking time
to stop for lunch at an outdoor cafe.
5. Read the same book together and talk about it when you're
done reading it.
6. Do a scriptural book study together.
7. Get up early on a Saturday morning, go get coffee, and spend
the morning going to yard sales or looking through thrift shops
or dollar stores.
8. Make cookies together to give to a friend.
9. Make holiday gifts together to give to friends and family.
Visit http://www.crafty-moms.com for easy craft ideas.
10. Go with your daughter to the concert of her choice.
11. Buy her the materials to start a high school scrapbook.
Work on your scrapbooks while she works on hers.
12. Join a local fitness club and work out together. My
daughter and I joined a local women's gym that is very
inexpensive ($40/month for both of us). We get up at 5:00 a.m.
three days a week to go exercise before she goes to school and I
go to work.
13. Go to the local video store and rent a couple of "chick
flicks" to enjoy together in the comfort of your home. Kick the
men out of the house and lounge around in your pajamas.
Copyright 2003. Rachel Paxton is a freelance writer, mom, and
owner of four home and family web sites. For scrapbooking, card
making, gift-giving ideas, and more family memory-making
activities, visit http://www.crafty-moms.com.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR BY COMMENTING
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Rachel Paxton or search for other articles by topic below.
Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
NEW - Surprise Me With an Article - Click here for a random URL
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through
Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
TRUST JESUS TODAY
Free Audio Bible
500 Plus Languages
Faith Comes By Hearing.com