Sexual harassment occurs when a person makes continual, unwelcomed sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature to another, against his or her wishes.
They could come in diverse forms ranging from that of the family to the Workplace.
Are you being harassed?
- Know your rights.
- Speak out at the time it happens.
- Keep records (Dates, times, places and an account of what happened.)
Write down the name of any witness.
- Identify an advocate.
- Write a letter (should be polite, unemotional and detailed.)
- Report sexual harassment to the appropriate person in the organization (Family or Work)
Examples of Sexual harassment
- Unwanted jokes, gestures, offensive words on clothing, and unwelcome comments
- Touching or any other bodily contact
- Repeated requests for dates that are always turned down
- Transmitting or posting emails containing nudity
- Displaying sexually suggestive objects, pictures or posters.
- Playing sexually suggestive music.
- Sexual comments about your body.
- Sexual advances/propositions/suggestions.
- Sexual graffiti
- Sexual “dirty” jokes
- Talking of one’s own sexual activities in front of others.
- Showing offensive/sexual pictures, stories, objects.
I have been sexually harassed. What can I do to stop it?
- If you’re comfortable doing so, you can speak directly to the harasser and ask him/her to stop the behavior that is making you uncomfortable.
- You can ask an academic or administrative officer for assistance.
- You can file a formal or informal complaint with the relevant authorities. If you are being harassed at work, you could resolve the situation by telling your supervisor, human resources representative.
If you are being harassed at home, walk up to one of your most respected elderly family member, telling him/her what has being going on, briefing the person of how is has been, the dates, times, venues, any key witness to that.
Stand strong, don’t die in silence, and fight this scourge with all diligence.
God Bless You.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by osilama aliu or search for articles on the same topic or others.