In this day of easy-believism it is sometimes difficult for new converts to distinguish truth from error. I John 4:1 warns: "…believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they be of God…."
How does one try the spirits? Is there a litmus test that we can apply? The next two verses of this passage provide the answer. It says "Hereby know we the Spirit of God; every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God; and every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist…."
The contrast between the two spirits is quite apparent; one is a true witness and the other is not. Unfortunately, in this day of pseudo Christianity the lines of truth and error are often blurred and inexperienced believers find themselves unsure of what to believe in certain matters
Following is a list of contrasting attributes between the Spirit of Truth (The Lord Jesus Christ) and the Spirit of Error (The Anti-Christ). When questions arise as to whether a thing is true or false, one only needs to measure it against the attributes of each spirit to determine who is behind it. It really is as simple as that.
Hopefully this extensive, but incomplete list will serve as a quick-reference for you and help you understand better the mind of Christ and the wicked ways of the evil one so that you can make right decisions on things in your life.
- Spirit of Truth (The Lord Jesus Christ)
• Spirit of Error (The Anti-Christ)
- Member of Holy Trinity - (Father, Son and Holy Spirit
• Member of Unholy Trinity - (Satan, False Prophet, Anti-Christ)
- Established His Church - (The Unspotted Bride)
• Establishes the Apostate Church - (The Great Harlot)
- Represents the Word of God
• Misrepresents the Word of God
- Came in God’s name
• Comes in his own name
- He was despised by men
• He will be exalted by men
- He did his Father’s will
• He does his own will
- He came to save mankind
• He comes to destroy mankind
- He is the Holy One
• He is the Lawless One
- He is the Son of God
• He is the Son of Perdition
- He is the sacrificial lamb
• He is the ravenous wolf
- He will glorify his bride the church
• He will kill his harlot wife the false church
- He is God who made himself man
• He is man who will make himself god
- He represents the spirit of truth
• He represents the spirit of error
- He loves man
• He hates man
- He will be exalted
• He will be destroyed
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Gary Kurz or search for articles on the same topic or others.