A) Know The Person - Jesus (v. 10a)
1. as Lord (1:2)
2. Complete in Him (1:6)
3. Coming Christ (1:10)
4. Center of our Gospel (v. 15-17)
5. To be glorified by us (v. 20)
6. To suffer for Him (v. 29)
7. Have the mind of Christ (2:5-11)
8. Rids us of pride (3:1-8)
We come to know Jesus as we know our parents:
1. Born into the family
2. Experience love
3. Grow in a warm fellowship
5. Listen to their words
6. Follow their example
It is the joy of continual discovery (Phil. 3:9 and Col. 2:3)
B) Experience The Power - Holy Spirit (v. 10b)
1. Power of life
2. Power of God
3. Power for good
4. Defensive power (garrison or fortress)
5. Offensive power (Eph. 6:17)
All of this is backed by the crucifixion and the resurrection
C) Fellowship in The Passion - love (v. 10c)
1. Christ's sufferings - Luke 1:80; Luke 2:49-51; Matt. 16:21; Luke 23
2. We as servants are not above our Master
D) Conform to The Pattern - Christlikeness (v. 10d)
This is both active and passive.
1. Conform to His life - Phil. 1:21; 2:5-11
2. Conform to His death - Give up everything - Go all the way- Love unselfishly
3. See Phil. 3:11-14 for emphasis on 'Realizing our Potential'.
A) Rejoice in The Position - "In Christ" Phil. 4:4
1. In Christ - Paul's favorite subject. John likened it to 'vine and branches' in John 15.
2. In Joy - Not dependent on where you are, but 'Whose you are'... not what you've got, but Who has you!
B) Witness through patience - ( v.5)
1. See also your concordance on patience, long-suffering and forbearance.
2. Spiritual addition (including patience) is a must. See II Peter 1: 1-9
C) Make much of Prayer - (v.6)
1. Prayer of faith - 6a
2. Pray about anything - 6b
3. Prayer of Thanksgiving - 6c; Phil. 1: 3-4
D) Enjoy The Peace - (v. 7)
1. From God 7a
2. By faith 7b
3. For whole body - 7c
4. Available through Christ - 7d
5. See verse 9 too
E) Be sure you are pure - (v.8)
1. In mind - true, honest, just, lovely, good report and virtuous.
2. In motive - Bible calls it 'the single eye' and 'singleness of heart'.
3. Jesus said 'only way to see God was from a pure heart'. Matt: 5:8
F) Obey the Principles - (v.9)
1. They are eternal
2. They are relevant
3. Not 'situation ethics', but knowing the ethics (principles) BEFORE the situation arises.
G) Claim the Promises
1. Brings contentment - (v. 11-12)
2. Gives strength (v. 13)
3. Supplies all your needs (v. 19)
Barbara Johnson, printed in Beam magazine (Feb. 1964) says:
"When do we really live?
When do we find fulfillment and come to see what life is really meant to be?
When we have a faith fit to live by....a self fit to live with ....a work fit to live for....and someone to love and be loved.
When we learn how to use time and not just kill it...when we want less....love more and lend a helping hand to others.
When we are wise enough to live one day at a time, letting yesterday go and not living tomorrow until it arrives.
When we have read great books of vision and beauty....when we know and live by the one Great Book, letting it guide and dominate our lives.
When we know how to worship, relax, forgive, pray, laugh....how to live with God and serve Him.
Most of all, we learn how to live when we do not take life for granted, but for gratitude."
D.L. Moody said:
"Trust in yourself and you are doomed to disappointment.
Trust in your friends and they will die and leave you.
Trust in money and you may have it taken from you.
Trust in reputation and some slanderous tongue may blast it.
But trust in God and you will never to be confounded in time....nor eternity."
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Travis Wiginton or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.