1) Definition - a mood is a conscious state of mind, a predominate emotion or prevailing attitude. By our moods people are blessed or blasted. Be careful - moods produce temporary conflicts with perhaps long-ranged results.
2) Theme - we will be mastered by our moods or we will let our Master help us master our moods.
3) Man said to me, "It is hard for me to pray if I'm in a bad mood."
Another said about an employee, "Sometimes he does a good job and sometimes not - I guess it depends on the mood he is in."
Many say "I never know what mood he (or she) will be in as (he/she)
is so moody".
A stranger halting at a village spoke to one of the inhabitants.
"What kind of people live here?" he asked.
"I have it in my mind to settle here."
"What kind of people did you live with before?" inquired the villager.
"Oh, in the town I came from the people are mean and narrow."
"Then I'm sorry' said the villager, 'but you'll find the same kind of people here."
The stranger drove on and sometime later another stranger came along and asked the villager about the kind of people in the village.
"What kind of people did you live with before?" the villager asked.
"The finest in the world', the stranger said with a smile.
'Only business reasons forced me to leave."
"Then' said the villager, 'you'll find the same kind of people here."
I. Look at Jeremiah's moods - Jeremiah 20: 1-8, 14-18.
1. Self-pity - Felt God had lied to him. The problem was assumed that Jeremiah made certain assumptions God never intended. Jeremiah assumed deliverance meant no hurt. Our moods are often expressions of our displeasure with the way God is running the universe. Remember, we have no right to ask 'why' when bad things happen, if we do not ask 'why' when good things happen. Don't get hung up on the 'whys of life' - hang your life and hope on the Who of life!
2. Blame game - life seemed a failure so he blamed God. Let God be the judge - you be faithful. Some lives look like failures and aren't, while others look like success and aren't. Most people do not judge as God judges. You will never be happy or successful if you play self pity or blame games or play to the wrong crowd.
3. Quit - Unbearable tension within to quit or not to quit. God wants tension to be holy tension between where you are and where He wants to take you. Also, tension in Jeremiah to speak for God or not to - Remember , some say , " silence is golden." There are times it is, but other times silence is yellow! Be spiritual - "holy people of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."
4. Jeremiah's and our moods primarily come:
1) Look at circumstances instead of Christ. We are to walk by faith and not by sight.
2) Reacting inhuman or animal ways instead of acting in a Christ-like way. "Live in weakness and not power of the Spirit."
3) Let go and let God! Author John Gossip was told, "Why don't you fling away God?" He replied, "In Heaven's name, fling away to what?"
John 6:68 says: Lord to whom shall we go, You have the words of eternal life." Eternal means quality of life now as well as quantity to come.
II. Look at mastering our moods.
1. Jeremiah 20:
1) Fought back against assault of lies. He said, "The way you see it is not the way it is." See 2 Kings 6: 14-17.
"Only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing."
Only way to beat an idea is with a better idea.
2) He had a burning heart - v.9: He forgot about self and turned to God... He had a broken heart.
3) He had a powerful presence - v. 11:
Matthew 28:20b........John 4:4........Psalm 139:7-12
Hebrews 13:5,8.........Romans 8:31
Immanuel = God with us!
4) He had a committed cause - v. 12:
God's call - God's care - God's control - Our commitment.
1 Samuel 17:29........Psalms 37: 3-5.......Job 5: 6-9
Proverbs 3: 55-6.......1 Peter 5:7
Jeremiah had a habit of turning from man to God and God met him at every turn!
5) He developed a habit of continual praise - v.13:
Jeremiah had a long night, but God gives a song in the night.
Acts 16:31 and at midnight (in a dungeon) singing and praising God.
F.B. Meyer says, " It is well with us when we learn to distinguish
between the life of our emotions to that of our will; and resolve to
live no more just on mood or emotion, but to build our lives upon
the granite of the obedient will."
In other words, I can will not to do wrong, and I can will to do right,
for the will decides it!
Conquering your moods is impossible in your own strength but look at:
Matthew 19:26b......Galatians 2:20...... John 15:11
Philippians 4: 13,19...... Philippians 1:21.......Philippians 4: 4-6,
Colossains 1:27b........Nehemiah 8:10........ 2 Corinthians 12: 7-10
Moods are like a deadly germ and can kill unless we let the Great Physician take over!
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR,
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Travis Wiginton or search for other articles by topic below.
Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through
Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
TRUST JESUS TODAY
Free Audio Bible
500 Plus Languages
Faith Comes By Hearing.com