Whom shall he teach knowledge?
and whom shall he make to understand doctrine?
them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
For precept must be upon precept,
precept upon precept;
line upon line,
line upon line;
here a little, and there a little....
Sabbath: The Perpetual Covenant
The issue of the sabbath day is really not a confusing one if the bible is taken literally. Unfortunately, Christians tend to equate good Christianity with good Americanism which is really not possible. When Christ was speaking to Pilate he said the following:
....to this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world,
that I should bear witness unto the truth.
Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
Christ's statement leaves no room for conjecture. These are the elements:
• There is an absolute TRUTH.
• Christ was born to bring this TRUTH into our world.
• Those who care about TRUTH will 'hear' his voice.
If there is in fact an absolute TRUTH then, one opinion cannot be as 'good' as another. Only ONE of many voices can be consistent with 'hearing' the TRUTH of Christ.
Just why are there so many differing interpretations of biblical text? Evidently, God intentionally arranged it that way.
But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept,
precept upon precept;
line upon line,
line upon line;
here a little, and there a little;
that they might go, and fall backward,
and be broken, and snared, and taken.
Most of you have heard it said that 'the bible interprets itself' & indeed it does, but that requires much independent study apart from the noise of institutional chatter. In this scripture from the book of Isaiah God is making clear the fact that He had no intention of making His Truth readily obvious to those who do not possess a genuine 'hunger & thirst for righteousness'. The answers are in the Word, but one must be sufficiently intimate with it to recognize His narrow path. That takes the kind of work few are willing to invest.
What I've decided to do on the topic of the Sabbath is to simply provide you with some airtight, syllogistic deduction-the type I learned in Logic 101 many years ago. It should really help to dispel much of the confusion.
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made;
and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3-And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it:
because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath,
to observe the sabbath throughout their generations,
for a perpetual covenant.
15-One ordinance shall be both for you of the congregation,
and also for the stranger that sojourneth with you,
an ordinance for ever in your generations:
as ye are, so shall the stranger be before the Lord.
29-Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance,
both for him that is born among the children of Israel,
and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold:
them also I must bring,
and they shall hear my voice;
and there shall be one fold,
and one shepherd.
17 And if some of the branches be broken off,
and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them,
and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18 Boast not against the branches.
But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root,
but the root thee.
So, let's review:
• God sanctified only one day of the week, the 7th day (aka-the Sabbath day).
• God made a Sabbath-day covenant with the nation of Israel.
• The covenant was to be PERPETUAL.
• God commanded that there be ONE ORDINANCE FOREVER both for the house of Israel & for the strangers sorgourning among them.
• ONE LAW applies to all whether they sin knowingly or through ignorance.
• Christ said he was seeking 'other sheep' (Gentiles) to bring into his fold.
• He also said that they would be incorporated into the existing fold, that ultimately there would only be ONE FOLD.
• Paul made clear that the Gentiles were only grafted into the stump of Israel & that it was Israel that contained the root.
• If God sanctified only the 7th day of the week &
• If he made a covenant honoring the day that was sanctified,
• Then the Sabbath MUST always be the 7th day of the week, no exceptions
• If the Sabbath covenant is PERPETUAL &
• If there is only ONE ordinance for both the house of Israel & the strangers among them,
• Then the strangers (ie Gentiles) MUST honour the Sabbath for as long as they remain associated with the house of Israel.
• If one ordinance applies to both the Israelites as well as to strangers among them &
• If this one ordinance applies whether they sin knowingly or in ignorance.
• Then if the strangers ignorantly fail to observe the correct Sabbath they are still accountable.
• If Christ brought other sheep into the existing (Jewish) fold &
• If those sheep are the (Gentile) Christians of today,
• Then Christians are required to observe the correct Sabbath.
Paul simply confirms that Christians were never divinely commissioned to establish a 'replacement' theology or culture to the nation of Israel. Israel bears the root & is, & always will be, the 'kingdom of priests' through which the world came to know Christ.
Thus saith the Lord of hosts;
In those days (latter days) it shall come to pass,
that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations,
even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying,
We will go with you:
for we have heard that God is with you.
What advantage then hath the Jew?
or what profit is there of circumcision?
2 Much every way:
chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE AS A MEMBER OR ANONYMOUSLY
Read more articles by Gaye Leto or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
NEW - Surprise Me With an Article - Click here for a random URL
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.