" You Shall Be Set Free "
John 8:31-36 KJV
31Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
* Jesus said to the Jews... This statement is important because first he was sent to reclaim the lost sheep of Israel. And the ones who didn't believe in him were very sure of their security because they were oracles of the word of God, keepers of the law and descendants of Abraham; in whom, God made the promise of blessing his descendants. Genesis 17:4-6 ( read Genesis 17 and on to learn of Abraham)
However, that promise wasn't just for the Jews. It was for all who would believe in Jesus Christ. The seed and descendant that the blessing would come from was Jesus Christ; in whom, was a direct descendant of Abraham because he was the father of the Jewish nation.
* Today he is speaking to everyone who believes in him. Now many would respond in the same manner of context as the Jews. However, the theology would differ and be applied to Christianity beliefs. They would say: we are your disciples, we go to church, we read your word, we tithe, we serve in ministry etc. Your word says if we believe in you then we are saved, that is the promise. You are a God of grace, and mercy. We are under the covenant of grace so we are not slaves to bondage we are free.
(v 34) Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
* Committeth defined and used in this biblical context: means to make, to do and is used of the bringing forth of fruit.
* Matthew 7:16-27
King James Version (KJV)
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name?and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
(v 35-36) Jesus puts emphasis on his reign and power as the Son of God to the Jews who thought they were wise of the things of God. In the same way he is telling this to those who confess him today with their lips, and not their hearts and lives. They know the word, but don't live it.
* 2 Timothy 3-7 KJV
3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
* 1 John 2:28-29 KJV
28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.
* 1 John 3:4-9 KJV
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. 6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. 7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. 8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
* The Bible tells us to DAILY examine yourself
2 Corinthians 13:55 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?.
* Daily DENY yourself, and DIE to self!
Matthew 16:24-25 24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
* If you are not experiencing the true freedom of Christ, examine yourself today. He promises freedom; for he is faithful and true, His requirement is always that you follow him. As in the context of John 8:31-36.... if you continue in my word (study it and apply it to your life) you will be set free. Every promise of God comes with a condition. Study each promise and you will find this to be true. If you find that you are not continuing in his word be not discouraged just repent he will forgive you and deliver you so you can truly experience this freedom; as long as, you abide in him, he will abide in you.
* 1 John 1:8-10 KJV
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Pray from your heart for Christ to forgive you, deliver you, help you, and guide you into his truth.
* James 1:5-6 KJV
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
- Crystal Diaz
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR BY COMMENTING
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
AS A MEMBER OR
Read more articles by Crystal Diaz or search for other articles by topic below.
Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
NEW - Surprise Me With an Article - Click here for a random URL
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through
Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
TRUST JESUS TODAY
Free Audio Bible
500 Plus Languages
Faith Comes By Hearing.com