Hi Faith-writers, we are going to take a closer look at Psalms and Praises that were done in the New Testament by the Apostle Paul. When I became a new Christian, I grew spiritually learning how to Pray, Praise God and worship God with the Psalms in the Old Testament. I love the way David and all the Old Testament Psalmist worshipped God. I would spend a great deal of time memorizing the Psalms I caught a revelation of and I would begin to SPEAK THEM OUT TO GOD IN PRAISE.
Paulís Instructions on New Testament Worship
Paul taught how we should redeem (make good use of) our time in (Ephesians 5:16-20 NKJV). Focusing on verses 19 and 20, Paul wrote;
19. Speaking to one another in Psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord,
20. Giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, (Eph. 5:19-20 NKJV)
How did Paul Praise God?
Whenever the Apostle Paul instructs us to do something as a Christian Believer you can rest assure that Paul practiced what he Preachesí and Taught. In fact, if we turn to the first chapter of Ephesians, we will see how Paul Praised God in New Testament Style. Letís read it;
3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in heavenly places in Christ, (Ephesians 1:3 NKJV)
Iím going to briefly outline verses 4-9, in chapter 1 of Ephesians;
* He chose us before the world began (v. 4)
* He Predestined us to adoption (v. 5)
* Paul Praised His Glorious Grace (v. 6)
* We have Redemption thru Jesusí Blood (v. 7)
* We have Forgiveness thru the riches of His Grace (v.7)
* His Grace abounds towards us (v. 8)
* God made known to us the Mystery of His Will (v. 9)
* According to His good Pleasure He Purposed (v. 9) (Ephesians 1:3-14 NKJV)
I purposely briefed this example of how Paul Praised God. To have enough room in this article to show the similarities of Paulís Psalm and Davidís Psalm 103:1-5 NKJV;
* David said, Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: (v. 2)
* Who forgives all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases, (v. 3)
* Who redeems your life from destruction, (v. 4)
* Who crowns you with loving-kindness and tender mercies, (v. 4)
* Who satisfies your mouth with good things, (v. 5)
* So that your youth is renewed like the eagleís (v. 5)
Notice the parallel, see how Paul took what Jesus did on the cross for us and turned it to a Psalm in his letter to the Church of Ephesus, and it is similar to the revelation that David had about God which he wrote in Psalms 103.
Divine Revelation of being a New Testament Psalmist
What David did in the Old Testament when it came to Praise and Worship toward God and the Psalms that he wrote and we read in the Book of Psalmsóis what Paul is, in the New Testament when he wrote to all the Churches and Praised God in all his lettersí. Whenever we read Paulís letters in the New Testament we must draw out Scriptures that are Psalm-like so we may turn it into our personal Psalm toward God. Let me give you an idea of how to do this;
* Blessed be You Heavenly Father, for Your Abundant Grace and Mercy
* Your Love is unfailing, Your Kindness unsearchable
* You made us alive when we were dead in trespasses and sins
* Itís by Your Divine Grace that we are saved and Born-again
* There is no height, width, depth or length that will stop Your Love toward us
* No Angel or Demon can stop You from Loving us
* When we fail You forgive us, When we fall You pick us up and restore our soul
* When we go off on the deep-end You allow us to experience the Prodigal lifestyle and when You say enough You allow us to come to our senses and realize that we must come home to You
* You receive us and put on us a robe of Righteousness
* You hug us and place a Gold Chain and Ring of Authority back on so we may continue to Reign in life in the Kingdom of God on earth.
* You Anoint our heads with Oil of Your Holy Spirit so we may continue to be led by Your Spirit
* You entrust us with Gifts and Callings that are irrevocable this is why we are still serving You
* You open the windows of Heaven and pour us out a blessings that we cannot contain
* Even in the storms of life--You are there making sure that we go thru it and come out of it on top
* There is no stopping Your Plan for our lives, even if we try to delay it, You make sure You get us back on track.
I can quote every verse I used to make this New Testament type of Psalm. But I wanted to make it as short and clean as possible. In any event, this would clearly be a New Testament Psalm, because every-thing I had written came out of Paulís Letters. I will write several more in the coming weeks and include Scripture references. May God Bless you to see how to Praise God like David and Paul so you may Worship Him Powerfully, in Jesusí name Amen.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Manuel Vargas or search for articles on the same topic or others.