This is a study of Romans 1:18-2:10. It answers the questions of why God's wrath falls upon people and nations. In the midst of all this it is possible to experience a life of hope, peace, stability, grace, love, and salvation IF one chooses to return to the ways of God.
1. People suppress the truth. The existence of God is evident within them, his attributes, power, and divine nature are clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so they are without excuse. (verses 18-20)
2. People do not honor God. (verse 21)
3. People or nations are unthankful. (verse 21)
4. The glory of the incorruptible God has been EXCHANGED for an image in the form of corruptible man. The truth of God has been EXCHANGED for a lie. The natural function of men and women have been EXCHANGED for that which is unnatural. (As you probably noticed, the word "exchanged" is used three times here. This all results in nations and people "receiving the due penalty of their error." God gives them over to:
* the lusts of the heart to impurity.
* degrading passions.
* a depraved mind.
5. People do not see fit to acknowledge God. (verses 23-28)
The results of all that is mentioned in verses 18-28 are the following, which are listed in verses 29-32:
A society which has totally turned its back on God will be filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, envy, murder, strife, deceit, and malice.
People in such a culture will be gossipers, slanderers, haters of God, insolent (which means showing a rude and arrogant lack of respect), arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, and unmerciful.
Moving now to chapter two, we see further insights as to how and why people bring God's judgment upon them.
1. People condemn themselves. (verse 1)
2. People presume they will escape God's judgment. (verse 3)
3. People think lightly of God's kindness, forbearance, and patience. (verse 4)
4. They have a stubborn and unrepentant heart. (verse 5)
5. They will have God's wrath rendered to them according to their deeds, selfishness, and obedience to unrighteousness. (verses 6-8)
6. They will experience tribulation and distress. This means not only daily distress but also there is coming a time of Great Tribulation upon the earth, of which they will be a part, IF they do not turn back to God.
God, however, has an answer to all of this.
Acts 4:12 says that Jesus is the only name given under heaven among men whereby we must be saved.
Romans 15:13 says you can have HOPE.
John 14:27 and Phil. 4:7 say you can have a Peace in your heart.
Isaiah 33:6 says you can have stability in uncertain times.
Ephesians 2:8-9 says you are saved by grace through faith, apart from works.
John 3:16 and Romans 8:38-39 say that God loves you unconditionally and that nothing can separate you from it.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by John Clark or search for articles on the same topic or others.