1. Matthew-Suffered martyrdom in Ethiopia, killed by a sword wound.
2. Mark-Died in Alexandria, Egypt, after being dragged by horses through the streets until he was dead. Mark was the nephew of Barnabas and a companion to Paul during his imprisonment although at some earlier point Paul was dissatisfied with Mark and separated him and his uncle Barnabas.
3. Luke the evangelist and writer of the third gospel as well as the Acts of the apostles was hanged in Greece as a result of his tremendous preaching to the lost. Luke was with Paul during his imprisonment in Rome and right up to Paul's execution.
4. John faced martyrdom when he was boiled in huge Basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution In Rome .. However, he was miraculously delivered from death.
John was then sentenced to the mines on the prison Island of Patmos ..
He wrote his prophetic Book of Revelation on Patmos . The apostle John was later freed and returned to serve As Bishop of Edessa in modern Turkey . He died as an old man, the only apostle to die peacefully.
5. Peter was crucified upside down on an x-shaped cross.
According to church tradition it was because he told his tormentors that he felt unworthy to die In the same way that Jesus Christ had died.
6. James-The leader of the church in Jerusalem, was thrown over a hundred feet down from the southeast pinnacle of the Temple when he refused to deny his faith in Christ. When they discovered that he survived the fall, his enemies beat James to death with a fuller's club.
This was the same pinnacle where Satan had taken Jesus during the Temptation.
7. James the Great Son of Zebedee, was a fisherman by trade when Jesus Called him to a lifetime of ministry. As a strong leader of the church, James was ultimately beheaded at Jerusalem .. The Roman officer who guarded James watched amazed as James defended his faith at his trial. Later, the officer Walked
beside James to the place of execution. Overcome by conviction, he declared his new faith to the judge and Knelt beside James to accept beheading as a Christian.
8. Bartholomew was also known as Nathaniel. He was a missionary to Asia .. He witnessed for our Lord in present day Turkey . Bartholomew was martyred for his preaching in Armenia where he was flayed to death by a whip.
9. Andrew was crucified on an x-shaped cross in Patras , Greece .. After being whipped severely by seven soldiers they tied his body to the cross with cords to prolong his agony. His followers reported that, when he was led toward the cross, Andrew saluted it in these words: 'I have long desired and
expected this happy hour. The cross has been consecrated by the body of Christ hanging on it.' He continued to preach to his tormentors for two days until he expired.
10. Thomas was stabbed with a spear in India during one of his missionary trips to establish the church in the Sub-continent.
11. Jude was killed with arrows when he refused to deny his faith in Christ.
12. Matthias-The apostle chosen to replace the traitor Judas Iscariot. He was stoned and then beheaded.
13. Paul was tortured and then beheaded by the evil Emperor Nero at Rome in A.D. 67.
Paul endured a lengthy imprisonment, which allowed him to write his many epistles to the churches he had formed throughout the Roman Empire ..
These letters, which taught many of the foundational Doctrines of Christianity, form a large portion of the New Testament.
May this be a reminder to all who profess faith in our Lord Jesus Christ that our sufferings here are indeed minor compared Tto the intense persecution and cold cruelty faced by the apostles And disciples during their times For the sake of the faith. And ye shall be hated Of all men for my name's sake: But he that endureth to the end shall be saved. Matthew 24
Carlton Pruitt ministers the gospel to the Los Angeles area. Formerly a Hollywood actor (SAG member)and junk removal expert he now spends most of his time studying the scriptures, writing articles, hymns and poems and doing street preaching.
See all his videos on http://www.youtube.com Type LAStreetPreacher in the search bar. CONTACT at Carlton2061@gmail.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Carlton Pruitt or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
NEW - Surprise Me With an Article - Click here for a random URL
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.