Even though there is overwhelming evidence for the existence of God, many people still reject Him. The main "reason" why people do so is because of all the evil, injustice, and suffering in the world. However, Romans 1:19-20 says that people are without excuse. Here are 11 points as to why evil, injustice, and suffering, among other things, are not good things to use in rejecting God.
1. Men and women have a sinful nature, with a tendency to do wrong things. This is combined with a free will to choose how one behaves. We do not have to train children to do wrong, do we. They, by nature, choose wrong actions and make poor choices. People do not develop a sin nature as a result of circumstances or environment; we are born with one. People must be instructed to do what is right.
2. A conscience has been given to each individual by God, which is designed to let us know when we do wrong. What has happened with many people, though, is their conscience has become seared, according to I Timothy 4:2. A seared conscience is one that has changed from accusing people to one that DEFENDS them. It justifies wrong behavior. This is stated in Romans 2:15. This is one of the main reasons why there is so much crime.
3. Romans 1 tells us that as people more and more choose, by their own free will, to reject God, that God will "give them over" to their own passions and desires, but there are consequences that go along with that. Adam and Even chose to disobey God and were banned from the Garden of Eden. When a parent tells a child to not run out into the street without looking, this is done for the safety and well-being of the child. The son or daughter can still choose to do so and suffer the consequences. So, much of the pain and suffering in the world is caused by people choosing to go against those things that God has said not to do, for our own well-being.
4. How about all of the shootings and other horrible crimes? Genesis 4 reveals the answer. When Cain killed his brother Abel, he did it because he was angry and did not deal with his anger. He allowed it to develop into bitterness, revenge, and eventually murder. It certainly is not God's fault that people allow their emotions to lead to destructive behavior.
5. There is the question of babies born with birth defects. People ask, "How can a loving God allow this?" Many babies born with defects are due to NO fault of the parents, and my heart goes out to these couples. However, there are birth defects that are caused by mothers abusing their bodies with alcohol and drugs. As a result we have, to use one example, babies born with Alcohol Syndrome. Again, that is not God's fault. Someone willfully made a bad choice.
6. People do not want to be held accountable for their actions, before God. This is based on an improper concept of the character of God. If people truly seek to honor and obey God, they will find that God is on their side. If they fear God maybe it is because they have chosen to go against his ways. There is that element of free choice again. Read Psalm 145 and 146 to see how loving the character of God is toward those who seek to please Him.
7. Not taking responsibility for one's choices and actions is another cause of evil, injustice, and suffering. The first several chapters of Genesis speak to this issue. Adam and Eve both blamed their actions on something other than their own decisions. So, casting blame and pointing fingers is a major cause of the problems we have in our world. That is not God's doing. Many people have never grown up. It is interesting that the term "grown up" can be broken into two parts: "grow," and "own up." There is injustice, evil, and suffering because many people are not owning up to their problems.
8. A lot of sickness is caused by people choosing to eat junk food, choosing to not get any exercise, or choosing to put substances into their bodies that the human body was never designed to accommodate. There is also sickness caused by the mind-body connection. Choosing to hold on to destructive emotions can cause physical illness.
9. Generational curses are a major cause of the problems we have. Generational curses are destructive mindsets, actions, behaviors, or lifestyles, that are passed down from one generation to the next. They are destructive behaviors or ways of thinking that have become a norm. If a father had an anger issue, so does the son. No one has made a CHOICE to break the generational curse.
10. Most importantly, Jesus suffered more than anyone, when he was crucified on the cross with nails driven into his hands and feet. In fact, the word "excruciating" means "of the cross." There is no pain that anyone has ever experienced that comes even close to that which Jesus went through when He died for you and me.
11. Some governments are corrupt and withhold help that is meant for the people. Again, that is not God's fault, and it is another indication of the sinfulness of man.
So, you see, it is human nature combined with free will that is the cause of most problems. God is not to blame.
Use you own free will to choose to accept Jesus today, and He will give you a brand new spiritual heart, that will make you want to choose to do what is right. If each person did this, it would go a long way toward diminishing evil, injustice, and suffering.