To help lay a firm foundation for getting life right the first time you must apply:
LIFE ASSESSMENT NUMBER 6: MARRIAGE, FAMILY, AND RELATIONSHIPS
* The thinking that a Christian marriage will always be a better one.
* A misunderstanding of true love.
* Love heals all wounds.
* God has only one right person for you?
* Living together before marriage.
* Same-sex marriage.
* Divorce as a way out instead of commitment and resources to make it work.
* Getting married based upon emotional feelings alone.
* Wrong concepts about headship and submission.
* Getting married too young or not knowing enough about the other person.
* Is there such a thing as "love at first sight?"
BUILDING BLOCK NUMBER 6: KNOW WHAT MAKES SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGES AND RELATIONSHIPS, THEN FAITHFULLY PRACTICE IT.
This must especially include learning and demonstrating real love. Marriages succeed not necessarily because they are "Christian" ones but because two imperfect people are determined to make them work, by applying things that result in good marriages and relationships. Good marriages do not just happen; they require hard and persistent work.
FOUNDATIONAL SCRIPTURE VERSES
Genesis 2:18-25; Ephesians 5:22-23 to 6:4; Colossians 3:18-21; I Peter 3:1-9; Hebrews 13:4; I Corinthians 13, and all the "one anothers" in Scripture.
1. Do you feel your marriage or dating relationship, if you have one, is generally going in a positive or negative direction?
2. What are specific things that seem to indicate that?
3. Could you list at least 3 ways to improve your marriage or other relationships?
4. Do you believe you are ready for marriage? Why or why not?
5. Is love a choice, a feeling, or both? Which is most important for a relationship to work?
Copyright 2013 by John Livingston Clark and Life Assessment Ministries. The author gives Life Assessment Seminars. For information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.