To help lay a firm foundation for getting life right the first time you must apply:
LIFE ASSESSMENT NUMBER 3: FORGIVENESS
* You don't feel like forgiving.
* The other person doesn't deserve to be forgiven.
* When the other person takes responsibility and owns up to their actions I will forgive them.
*People sometimes do not realize that forgiveness is for the one offended.
BUILDING BLOCK NUMBER 3: UNDERSTAND TRUE FORGIVENESS AND PRACTICE IT EVERY DAY.
Forgiveness of yourself and others must happen continually. Its is important to understand that forgiveness is for the benefit of the one hurt, so an unforgiving spirit and bitterness does not take root in your life. Forgiveness is not based upon feelings but rather on a conscious decision. It means not treating the other person how he or she has treated you in the past and extending them grace. You may not always be able to forget but you still need to forgive. However, it does not mean that you must continue to have a relationship with someone, either.
FOUNDATIONAL SCRIPTURE VERSES
Matthew 6:14-15; I John 1:9, 2:12; Ephesians 4:26-27, 31-32; Psalm 32:3-5, 103:8-14; Colossians 1:13-14, 3:13; Romans 8:1; and Isaiah 1:18
1. Do you find it difficult to forgive people? Why?
2. Is there an area of life or relationship that is not moving forward because you are not forgiving someone?
3. Is there any lack of forgiveness that you are holding on to right now?
4. Plan steps to forgive someone, if necessary.
5. Ask God to make you sensitive to the need to forgive others or yourself.
Copyright 2013 by John Livingston Clark and Life Assessment Ministries. The author gives Life Assessment Seminars. For information contact: email@example.com.
Your article is very informative. It makes a person think and look inside themselves more to find the reason why they can't or won't forgive another person. I like the format. It is organized so people can understand how important it is to forgive. I feel the hardest one to forgive in my life was me. I'm finally letting up on myself and realizing how much God loves me--He has already forgiven me--so who am I not to forgive myself. Thank you for reminding how important it is to forgive even myself.