In 1 Samuel 13 of the "Old" Testament the Philistines sought to handicap the ancient Israelites by requiring them to come to them for the sharpening of their tools, but I wonder if that strategy didn't backfire. The relationships that were developed and the spiritual seeds that were planted through those transactions and interactions may have done more to undermine their own belief system than would have been done had they imposed no such restrictions. Now there were God-fearers springing up in Philistia who wouldn't have emerged otherwise. We are often made "sharper" through our engagement of the culture around us as it raises questions and arguments we hadn't considered, and, if we are honest, we will have to "save the phenomena" as Plato would say and come back to it and think it through more thoroughly and convincingly. That's how paradigms get expanded and that's how convictions deepen, if we're willing to risk the engagement. There may even be a new tool added in the process!
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR,
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
AS A MEMBER OR
Read more articles by Terry Barlow or search for other articles by topic below.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
REGULAR ARTICLE SUBMISSION AREA -
This area is for articles you wish to showcase, sell, or just to let others read. -
1. This area is for articles WRITTEN BY YOU from a Christian perspective.
2. It is not designed to repost the writings of other people.
3. It is not intended solely for use as a personal blog.
4. A maximum of THREE articles PER DAY can be submitted in this area.
5. It is not for submission of ads. Ads will be deleted immediately and reported to the ITEF.