The City of the Dead
by Andy Castro
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
I recently read a very interesting article about people who live in, ďThe City of The DeadĒ. The City of the Dead is a four-mile stretch of tombs and mausoleums in Cairo, Egypt. The article states that tens of thousands live in the tombs without water or electricity. Yet they have a satellite dish and a television because itís free. What a contrast of living and dying.
In the book of Mark, chapter 5:2-5, it describes a man who lived amongst the tombs.
1. He was under the power of an unclean spirit
2. He continually lived among the tombs
3. No one could subdue him, even with a chain
4. He had been bound often with shackles
5. He was always shrieking and screaming
6. He was always beating and bruising and cutting himself with stones
This doesnít sound like a man that was enjoying his life. It reminds me of all the ways the Lord has had to change my thinking process. This manís story is my story. Itís a story of many Christians. Let me explain.
1. I know that we believers cannot be possessed by an evil spirit, but we can be influenced by them. Itís called temptation. With that temptation we make a choice to do it or not to do it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
2. We may not physically live amongst the tombs but we do in our hearts and minds. (Matthew 15:19)
3. We as human beings get set in our ways and tend to not want change in our lives.(Psalm 55:19)
4. When we continuously give in to temptation, it always moves us closer to addiction.
5. As believers, our shortcomings and addictions will always back itself up with a loud voice of justification.(Galatians 5:4)
6. For believers, condemnation will scream out in our minds the hopelessness and despair of our life.
If you cannot relate to this, then stop reading because you wonít get anything out of it. But if you can relate, there is good news.
Read this: Mark 7:20-23 (AMP) 20And He said, What comes out of a man is what makes a man unclean and renders [him] unhallowed. 21For from within, [that is] out of the hearts of men, come base and wicked thoughts, sexual immorality, stealing, murder, adultery, 22Coveting (a greedy desire to have more wealth), dangerous and destructive wickedness, deceit; unrestrained (indecent) conduct; an evil eye (envy), slander (evil speaking, malicious misrepresentation, abusiveness), pride ( the sin of an uplifted heart against God and man), foolishness (folly, lack of sense, recklessness, thoughtlessness).
23All these evil [purposes and desires] come from within, and they make the man unclean and render him unhallowed.
Jesus makes it very clear that our heart and mind is what makes us messed up. Itís a thought process and an attitude of the heart that keeps us from living the full life that Jesus wants us to live.
Here are 3 steps that will help you on your expedition to a closer walk with the Lord.
1. Read the Bible daily.
a. Jesus is the Word, so reading daily reveals more of Him and the contrasting life we may be living.
a. Praying can be an act of submission. Let the Lord know you need His help to change. Little by little He will reveal to you His thoughts and His ways. Then He will help you to renew your mind which will transform your heart.
3. Believe that He absolutely loves you and hears your prayers.
a. Itís take faith to absolutely know the Lord loves us just as we are. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. The more you read and pray, the easier it is to believe He wants a relationship with you.
Next level thinking is thinking like Him. And thinking like Him will help you to live farther away from ďThe City of The DeadĒ.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE AS A MEMBER OR ANONYMOUSLY
Read more articles by Andy Castro or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
NEW - Surprise Me With an Article - Click here for a random URL
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.