Today’s poem is a sincere and earnest prayer that emanates from the heart of a friend.
A Friend's Prayer
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling (4th March 2013)
Dedicated to Ng Yan Mei on her birthday
This is my heartfelt prayer for you each passing day
For God to guide and comfort you in every way
May his living Word fashion all you do and say
At the cross, may your burdens and cares be allayed
There is a hope that the world cannot comprehend
Which helps us to, against our enemy, stand
Christ, our Shepherd, will lead us safely by the hand
Through this journey until we reach the Promised Land
There is an everlasting love that knows no bounds
That overflows from Christ Jesus, the living Fount
Who is our refuge, foundation and solid ground
May our steadfast love for him and his church abound
Points for Reflection:
• If you know of friends who might be struggling with trials, difficult situations, dilemmas or temptations, this would be a good time to start cultivating a habit of praying for them.
Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints (Ephesians 6:18)
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. (James 5:16)
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. (James 5:13)
• Even if your friends are not going through difficulties, you should always remember them in your prayers and be concerned about their growth in Christ. It is also vital for us to thank God for his abundant love, mercy and grace shown to all who are in the family of Christ.
And it is my [Apostle Paul’s] prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9-11)
I [Apostle Paul] do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints (Ephesians 1:16-18)
• For those friends of yours who have not accepted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour, I believe there is a great urgency on your part to pray for their salvation so that they may share in the marvelous hope of eternal life that we have in Christ.
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:1-4)
• Many of us are often negligent in our prayer life and we would only start praying when all our human resources and efforts fail and hit a dead end. But that should not be for God tells us in his Word that we should pray regularly for each other.
• There are also those of us who do pray regularly but out of pious obligation. My friends, prayer to our heavenly Father should fill our hearts with joy instead of dread. It a treasured tool that God has given to us to pour our hearts, fears and desires to our loving God who hears every word.
P/S: If you are interested in this poem, please contact me via the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Joanne Liaw or search for articles on the same topic or others.