They felled great trees and gathered much wood
Quarried as many stones as they could
Reeds were bound with fibre for the roof
Building materials were fine and good
The foolish builder started construction
For his house during the hot season
The sun-baked sand was his foundation
It seemed like a secured decision
The wise builder dug through the sand
Unswerving in the work of his hands
When things got hard he did not relent
Till he reached the rock beneath the sand
This rock was where his house was built on
The foundation where his house stood strong
The firm ground on which he could depend
For all other ground was sinking sand
And then came the heavy rain and storm
That brought in the raging floods and winds
The house founded on the rock stood strong
But the house built on the sand caved in
My dear readers, is your life built on
The shifting foundations of this world?
Or is it firmly rooted upon
The solid rock of Christ and his Word?
Points for Reflection:
Since there are quite a bit of metaphors here, I thought it would be helpful to define what the imageries mean:
a) The House (v.24-27)
• Beliefs, convictions, aspirations and choices in a person’s life.
b) The Sand (v.21-23, 26-27)?
• Any unstable foundation for life apart from Christ.
• e.g. money, career, intellect, achievements, human relationships, fame, etc…
c) The foolish man who built his house on the sand (v.21-23, 26-27)?
• Anyone who builds their lives on any unstable foundation for life apart from Christ (Non Christians & even those who claim to be Christians).
• During the hot summer months in Jesus’ time, the sand around the Sea of Galilee was hard on the surface. It seemed secured enough & even convenient to build a house on the sand until the rain, floods and winds come.
d) The Rock (v.24-25)?
• Jesus Christ, the solid foundation for life.
e) The wise man who built his house on the rock (v.24-25)?
• Christians who build their lives on the bedrock of Jesus and his Word are truly wise, regardless of the shifting, unstable and temporal foundations of this world.
• A wise builder knew that he needed to dig several feet below the surface to the bedrock in order to establish the foundation for his house.
• The act of ‘digging’ requires hard work which can be divided into 2 parts:
(i) Reading & studying God’s Word diligently (Psalm 119:15-16).
(ii) Putting God’s Word into practice (James 1:22–23 and 2:20–22).
• The evidence of whether one is truly a believer is in whether one does the words of Jesus (cf. James 1:22–23 and 2:20–22)
f) The rain, floods and winds (v.25, 27)?
• Problems and trials of life and ultimately, the Day of Judgment (after physical death or when Christ returns).
What does your house (beliefs, convictions, aspirations and choices in your life) consist of?
Is your house founded on the solid Rock of Jesus Christ or on the shifting sand of this world?
Are you the wise man who built his house on the rock or the foolish man who built his house on the sand?
In what ways can you grow increasingly dependent on God instead of putting your security and hope in earthly & temporal resources?
How has learning & putting into practice the Word of God helped you to stand firm in God during trials and testing?
P/S: If you are interested in this poem, please contact me via the following email address: email@example.com
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR,
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
AS A MEMBER OR
Read more articles by Joanne Liaw or search for other articles by topic below.
Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through
Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
TRUST JESUS TODAY
Free Audio Bible
500 Plus Languages
Faith Comes By Hearing.com