The decision that directed the rest of my life
At the beginning of my fifteenth year I made a decision that was going to affect me for the rest of my life. At the time I had little understanding of what the consequences would be and how it would touch every area of my life. I took the step with the full confidence of an optimistic teenager who believed that the best was yet to come. I have never forgotten the date, it was 6th March 1954.
I was an idealistic girl who loved stories of heroic leaders with a cause to live and die for if necessary. That Saturday night I found my Leader and my cause as I stepped into the Arena at Harringey in the closing stages of Billy Graham’s first London Crusade. With the aid of a counsellor I asked Jesus to come into my life and I went home with a helpful booklet in my hand and the hope of getting to know Him in my heart.
So how did this decision made all those year s ago affect me? 60+ years is a very long time and the life that was ahead of me was going to be tough, unconventional and sometimes lonely. I would live abroad for long periods, leaving family and friends. My spirit, although willing, was often overwhelmed by my flesh, that was weak. But in the midst of experiences that could have proved negative there was continual positive support:
• The booklet I was given introduced me to the Bible, a book full of wisdom and insight. The Bible introduced me to Jesus , his life and teaching. I joined a church and made friendships that were to become lifelong ones. Older people taught me the basics of the faith and helped me to grow in confidence and understanding of Christianity.
• Have I served the cause I embraced? I have shared my experiences by spoken and written words and hopefully by my life and I have been active in churches in various supportive ways. I still believe in the cause, but more passionately now having had years of observing how much the world needs the good news that we call ‘the gospel’.
• The habits learned in those early years have stayed with me. My days start with prayer and any stress is dealt with, problems are shared with the Lord and each day is a new start for me. That is a wonderful privilege to embrace every morning.
• Have I got to know the Lord? That is really what counts most of all to me. An honest answer is ‘in part’. I have experienced His love, so real at times it has brought tears to my eyes. He has always responded to my prayers - even through periods when I have been faithless and even disobedient. If I were to sum up my experience of Jesus I would say that he is loving and faithful and kind.
When I was fifteen life seemed to stretch on forever, like an infinity pool. Now I know this is an illusion and it does not. Some of my friends have already been called Home but they have passed on in peace, knowing that it is just a transition from one place to another. I know we will meet again and it will be smiles all round.
When I made that decision so many years ago I thought only of the life immediately ahead of me. Now I find security in knowing that Jesus has promised never to leave me and eventually to take me Home. Until then I have a Leader to follow, a cause to serve and a Lord to love.
- FaithWriters.com, the Ultimate Community for Christian Writers.
Christian Writers - FaithWriters.com, the Ultimate Community for Christian Writers.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Marion Caragounis or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
NEW - Surprise Me With an Article - Click here for a random URL
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
This is a powerful testimony with a lot of wisdom wrapped in it. You should consider tweaking it just a bit with some more showing so the reader feels your feels right along with you and then enter it into the testimony contest. You have a subtle sense of humor and this is packed full of wisdom. You touched my heart with your words.
This article has been read 312 times < Previous | Next >