HEALING FOR THE WALKING WOUNDED
Freelance writer Lupie Riley
I'm astounded at the incredible number of women and children that have been and those that are being sexually molested and abused in today’s world. Why hasn't the church (body of Christ) leaders addressed this age-old problem?
Why are there so many grown men, women and children walking around with open-heart wounds crying out for someone they can talk to that they trust. God help them and he will.
I too was one of the walking wounded. There was no one to come along side me to help me have victory over the shame, hurt, anger, frustration and loneliness that I felt--all emotions that victims of sexual abuse go through. I carried this baggage around for 20 years before I got help. Thanks to Jesus and my loving husband I finally have victory and the skills to fight Satan's attempt to keep me down and unproductive. My prayer is that help comes quickly for these victims and not 20 years down the road. Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has provided a way of escape from this dark, emotional prison.
The healing balm that Jesus provides is found in one word "forgiveness". As he hung on the cross in excruciating pain for you and me he uttered these words..."Father forgive them for they know not what they do.” When we exercise this kind of Jesus forgiveness we are set free from negative emotions that have kept us spiritually handicapped. We can move forward and begin to do those things for God's glory. We can walk in the light of His presence once again and experiencing a peace that only He can give. This doesn't mean we invite the abuser back into our life if they are unrepentive but it does allow us to move on and fulfill God’s plan and purpose he has for each of us. Through forgiveness we also have the ability to pray for our abuser’s salvation. Without Jesus these lost souls become Satan’s children, servants to his bidding to rape, harm, steal (our peace) and kill.
The church Shepherds need to address these serious problems that incapacitate our sisters and brothers in Christ. A means and ways of restoration needs to be provided so healing can take place. This will enable the victim to move on to a more productive life using their spiritual gifts to build up the body to maturity, health and strength. Here are some skills I've learned along my journey and prayerfully they can help those who are shackled by these emotions to be free from this bondage that holds them back from being everything the Lord has planned for them from the very beginning.
1. In our carnal, fleshly nature Satan still has access to our conscious mind that acts as a storage center. Otherwise we would not be able to recall all the good and bad memories that have been pre-recorded. A spiritual warfare takes place between the good and evil in our conscience everyday of our lives and we are constantly making choices. Gal. 5:16-18
2. Everything we do, think and say is on a memory file. Satan uses this record to bring up unpleasant memories that cause fear, anxiety and depression if we allow him access to this spiritual place. We must remember we have the weapons to fight this battle that Satan has already lost through Christ’s resurrection. Heb. 2:14-15
3. Acknowledge that it is a spiritual warfare and equip yourself to fight. He has given us His armor to be victorious. Eph. 6:10-17
4. Along with putting on the armor we must be cleansed by a Jesus like forgiveness. This is not only towards the abuser but a confession on your part if you have been involved with abortion, porn, adultery or any other unconfessed sins in your life. It's a matter of giving and receiving forgiveness. Col. 1:13-14, Eph. 4:32
5. One of the pieces of armor is the shield. It protects you from the fiery arrows Satan aims at you when he brings up the dark side of your life, the side you would like to forget, the side that has already been defeated by the cross and forgiveness. Stand guard with the shield (Jesus) as your protector. Psalms 28:7, 33:20
6. Set aside a quiet time everyday to be with the Lord and His Word. He will keep you strong and steady and at peace. Know what His Word says and means…then obey it. You will truly begin to experience the abundant life he promises all those who remain faithful. John 10:10
“ For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jer. 29:11