--To make a statement of belief based on personal knowledge of God
--To express a personal conviction about who Jesus is
--To live a changed life as evidence or proof of the existence and power of God
--To make a statement testifying to the benefits received from God
--To make an open acknowledgement and expression of appreciation and tribute to the Triune God
--Someone who tells what she/he knows. John 9, John 4:39, Isaiah 43:10, Acts 1:8, Acts 22: 14-15
A testimony is usually made orally, but is also commanded by Scripture to be preserved (tape recorded or written) for future generations. “This will be written for the generation to come, that a people yet to be created may praise the Lord.” Testimonies are proof to the saving power of Jesus Christ and bring hope to future generations. Romans 15:4, Psalm 22:30-31, Psalm 102:18. A testimony, in any form, should include the following three elements:
A. Before I Met Christ
Briefly describe your life, attitudes and goals before you became a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ. Here are a few scripture references to assist you in your thinking and writing.
1. I was ignorant and a slave to sin. Galatians 4:3, John 8:34, Titus 3:3
2. I was without God and without hope. Ephesians 2: 11-12
B. When I Met Christ (My Conversion Experience)
Briefly describe the process through which you came to know Christ. You might want to touch on circumstances in your life at the time, as well as people the Lord used to draw you to Him. The following scriptures may help you focus your thoughts.
1. I became aware of my sin and my need for a Savior. Psalm 32:5
2. I cried out to God. Psalm 25: 16-18, Psalm 27: 7-8
3. I ‘tasted’ and saw that the Lord is good, and He delivered me. Psalm 34:8
4. I responded to God’s call. Isaiah 30: 21, Psalm 27:8,
5. My spirit became re-born and my mind became renewed. Romans 12:2; John 3:3, 6
C. After I Met Christ
Describe how Jesus Christ has transformed you, your life and attitudes.
1. I am not ashamed of the Gospel. Romans 1:16
2. I will declare His name and praise Him. Psalm 22:22, Psalm 34: 1-4
3. I’ve been washed clean. I Corinthians 6:11
4. I’ve been restored. Psalm 23: 3
5. I have peace with God through the Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 2:13-14
6. I live my life by faith; my old life has passed away. 2 Corinthians 5:17
7. Jesus Christ is my very life. Galatians 2:20
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by sandra snider or search for articles on the same topic or others.
Well done Sandra, particularly tying it all together with God's Word. Our congregation did the "Becoming a Contageous Christian" study earlier this year, and basically this is very much a part of it, using the same basic stages of our journey as the foundation for our testimonies. I'm sure your guidelines will be very helpful to some who really do wonder where to start or perhaps even think they don't have anything to say. With love, Deb