Build Your House
by Manuel Vargas
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE
HIRE THIS WRITER
Build Your House
Many of us desire to have a house—a place to call home. Others have a house but are struggling to make it a home (a lovable and livable peaceful place). Others don’t have a home. The American dream that was talked about years ago was to obtain and maintain a great job or career earning a great salary and saving to get married and eventually buying a home. Although today it may not be the plan for many struggling Americans and Christians alike. We must capture a Revelation of a Biblical Dream and Vision to eventually Build Our House!
Building Your House Defined
Hi everyone! I’m back to finish off the Topic of Preparation with the last point of the Scripture found in Proverbs 24:27 AMP;
1. Prepare your work outside,
2. Get it ready for yourself in the field;
3. Build your house and establish a home (Proverbs 24:27 AMP)
This verse is the-how-to-do steps that a Christian should consider to;
1. Building our Christian lives with the spiritual growth God intends for us to develop as well as the Ministry God will have us operate in.
2. It also applies to the literal Building of our careers God intends for us to develop.
3. It also applies to the Building of our House (The Structure we will live in)
4. It surely applies to our family life.
Building Our Christian Lives
I shared in my previous articles on how I was led back in 1992 to read Matthew Chapters 5, 6, and 7, in the New Testament where Jesus taught the Sermon on the Mount and how I practically apply myself to do them. Jesus taught about 19 different topics that targeted the areas that the people of that day as well as, the people of today need to consider and practically apply to be successful Christians in the Kingdom of God on the earth. And the point I want to make is that Jesus gave us a symbolic connection of our taking heed to the TEACHINGS HE shared with our practical approach of applying them.
Jesus said, so everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts upon them [obeying them] will be like a sensible (prudent, practical, wise) man who BUILT HIS HOUSE upon the rock. (Matthew 7:24 AMP)
And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. (Matthew 7:25 AMP)
And everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not do them will be like a stupid (foolish) man who built his house upon sand. And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell—and great and complete was the fall of it. (Matthew 7:26-27 AMP).
Jesus taught about the Be-attitudes, about us being Salt and Lights to this world, about the law, about Anger, lust, divorce, vows, retaliation, loving our enemies, giving to the needy, prayer, forgiveness, fasting, money, worry, criticizing others, asking, seeking, and knocking, the way to heaven, fruit in people’s lives and finally about us BUILDING OUR HOUSES ON THE ROCK (Matthew chapters 5, 6, and 7).
The point is people will hear the same message but you have those who will act upon those principles and do them and those who won’t. We must be wise builder’s not foolish or irresponsible ones.
Building Our Ministry
Whether we choose to accept this truth or not we all have a MINISTRY. God called us to do something on the earth for the Kingdom of God. The parable of the Talents (Money and Skill) found in (Matthew 25:14-29 NKJV) speaks about the God appointed Talents given to us to do the Will of God. Each person was given a certain amount 1 Talent for one person, 2 Talents for another person, and 5 Talents to the 3rd person mention. The spiritual point of the story was that;
1. God gave them the Divine ability to do something for the Kingdom of God.
2. Each person is different and was given less or more Talents than someone else.
3. We were responsible to work on gaining more Talents/ Skills, Money, or Souls.
4. We must work it until the Master returns and bring back double the Talent/Skill.
Building or developing our Ministry is not a mystery because the Bible is clear about how God will reveal our Calling to us if we pray about it (See Ephesians 1:16-23 NKJV) or read some of the articles I wrote about the “Different Ways God Calls Us” and “Praying for Your Calling”. There’s a practical approach to getting ourselves ready to serve God and become a dedicated Disciple.
Jesus on the Topic of Building Our Ministry
When Jesus spoke about the Cost of being His Disciple in (Luke 14:25-33 NKJV) He pointed out 5 things that we must understand and practically apply to be classified as His disciples;
1. We must love Him above our spouses and immediate family
2. We must live a discipline life by taking up our cross daily (Crucifying the flesh)
3. We must be a wise Builder Contractor, Estimator, Developer and Mechanic
4. We must be a wise military man or woman to go into battle or seek peace.
5. We must forsake all that will hinder our relationship to Him.
The Practical Approach of Fulfilling This
I ran into a good Christian Brother who failed to develop a relationship to his mom because like most Christians who doesn’t know any better they usually take things to an extreme and fail to find a balance in being a parent and Growing Spiritual personally and being a good Minister. People who are off balance either become dedicated to the Ministry and neglect their families all in the name of God. They misquote Scripture and misapply it then when they are confronted with truth and balance they argue to remain justified for their actions and fail to receive correction.
1. Jesus said to love Him more than your spouse and immediate family members. The Balance here is to place God first. If we are not careful we can easily make our spouses and immediate family members more important than Jesus and they become our idols. This is not to be taken to a negative extreme and we become focused solely on serving God and neglect our families.
Scripture for this is found in 1 Timothy 3:1-13 NKJV; Part of the requirement for being Pastors, Bishops and Deacons is to be Married to one wife and be faithful to her, have an all around godly character, and run our household well. Then we qualify to stand in those offices, because if we cannot run our household how will we run a church congregation? Paul pointed out.
So what is the Objective to being a balanced Disciple in this 1st point? 1. We love God first. 2. God will train us to be great Husbands and Wives and Parents and a good relative to all our family members. 3. We will also grow spiritually to be the disciple that God wants us to be. 4. We will come to learn later on what God called us to be. Then we will go on step-by-step growing into that particular ministry.
2. The second thing that is required to be a great disciple is to die daily—that is we have to take up our cross by crucifying our physical lustful desires. Paul said he disciplines his body under control (1 Corinthians 9:27 NKJV). Paul also explained how he actually does it in detail in the book of Romans 8:5-11 NKJV. Being spiritual minded and walking in the spirit relying on the power of the Holy Spirit to revive, quicken, make alive his body to live a godly lifestyle.
3. The third thing is to be a Wise Builder. Since I’m a Master carpenter, well rounded mechanic in many fields and a Licensed Construction Manager with the NYC Dept. of Buildings let me share a lot of secrets and make it practical and parallel to this teaching principle. There are a lot of butchers, un-professionals, and crooked Contractors out there. But at the same time there are a lot of ignorant people as well as, gullible people who don’t take the time to do their homework when it comes to buying property and or renovating their property.
For those of you wishing to buy a home or renovate one;
1. Check the listings of all the homes in the area Willow.com and Property Shark.com are good sources to check comps. There are others sources as well—don’t limit your info.
2. If the houses in the area range from 200k-400k and they’re the same size you know that you may need 100k in renovations to bring it up to speed with the rest of the properties.
3. Always check the foundation for cracks and huge wall cracks that were created by settling over time. Heavily traffic streets will produce extreme settling.
4. Stay away from flood zones just because the property is cheap—flood zone areas may be the reason among other things as to why the property is inexpensive.
5. If a property has a poor kitchen and baths as well as mechanical systems HVAC, boiler, hot water heater, sump pump and more you can write-down the asking price.
6. For poor kitchens deduct 10k-20k. For poor bathrooms deduct 5k-8k. For poor Heating and ventilation deduct 15k-25k. For poor walls and floors deduct 3k-5k per room.
7. Always get free estimates from all trades, Carpenters, Plumbers, Electricians, HVAC Mechanics, Painters, Pool guys, Landscapers. Make sure they are licensed in that state and county and if their insurance is valid. Always check to see the equipment because good shape equipment and tools say a lot about a professional. For example, Ryobi tools are cheaper than Dewalt and Hilti tools. Hilti and Pacific Lasers are the best in the Construction field.
8. Always do your homework--buy the Home Depot 123 about all the trades it cost $14.95 for the fat one that has a little of everything because you will see first-hand what the work entails that you wish to perform on your home. I’ve been in the business of Construction for 32 years. Today more than ever we have all the info needed to do a thorough study of Home improvements without being ripped-off. Loews and Home Depot have special 123 books focusing on landscaping alone, or Plumbing alone, or Painting alone, and every other trade that will do work in your home. And the info is updated and professionally presented in a step-by-step process of the work that needs to be done from beginning to the end.
How does it all Connect?
Jesus always spoke to the people with examples that we encounter every day. We are always looking to improve our homes or apartments. I spent 6k renovating cosmetically my apartment. It looks like a co-op. I’m happy that I was able to do all the work. It took 3 years I had to time everything and budget it. Everyone who visit’s gives us great compliments especially those who saw the apartment before it was renovated.
Jesus said for which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it—lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all who see it begin to mock him. Saying, “This man began to build and was not able to finish.” (Luke 14:28-30 NKJV).
The moral of the story is the lack of good ESTIMATION. An estimator is one of the key players in the Construction field. If his numbers are wrong the project comes to a stand-still. There won’t be cash to do the project. Right now, NYC has over 600 projects on standby because banks don’t have the cash to give them to complete the project. AIA is working to get a program in place to lure in investors to get these projects up and running to completion.
How does this apply to us being Christians and making sure we do the numbers right to be better Disciples? I’m glad you asked. How many months we have in a year? 12 months. How many months in a college semester for one course? Winter semester is from September to December, and the Spring semester is from January to May. If we took the time-line of College Studies per semester into our Bible Studies we should personally do to enhance our knowledge of Scripture on any given topic God is leading us to study for our spiritual growth; after about 2 years we should be super knowledgeable and practically driven to be matured Christians in those areas we have studied.
For example, if God is dealing with us about being an Evangelist and going out there to the places He laid in our hearts to minister. We need to prepare ourselves by knowing how to present the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This means we need to study the topic of being Born-again and faithfully preach and teach it so that souls can be saved, healed and delivered. I shared many articles on Evangelism and how to operate in that gift and calling.
If the topic is forgiveness because your are holding resentment in your heart and God is telling to you to forgive then go head and find Scripture, articles and teaching in that area and go ahead and forgive and move on in your Christian walk. Same goes for any other topic. We must study and apply it over and over throughout a life time. It’s not a one-time thing and we got it together, no! We have to study topics over and over. I’m reading a book by Derek Prince on Experiencing God’s power again. Last time I read it was in 1999. I’m reading the book of Acts over again too. We should never think we got it together or say ah I read that already.
Remember, faith comes by hearing and by hearing the word of truth Romans 10:17 NKJV. Faith doesn’t come by having read or heard one time. Faith comes by hearing and by hearing—a consistent practice of hearing Scripture over and over to take us to that Supernatural level of receiving and experiencing the power of God’s word. So, how are you BUILDING YOUR HOUSE? Is it on sand, in a flood zone or capable of standing strong thru the storm or flood? Be a wise Builder we have the resources, the knowledge, the materials to do it, all we have to do start the project wisely.
May God bless you to be a wise master builder, in Jesus’ name amen.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Manuel Vargas or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.